Microsoft Keyboard Software (M$ Ergo extended keys)

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
tmcmasters

Microsoft Keyboard Software (M$ Ergo extended keys)

Post by tmcmasters »

I didn't find any discussion of this anywhere on the forum, so...
I have a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 v.1 on WindowsXPProSP2. I have played with using the RWin key to activate motion, and the low Back/Forward keys as click buttons. But I haven't found a key combo that I am really comfortable with.
There are certain keys on the M$ keyboard that are implemented with Microsoft Intellitype Pro Keyboard Software ("Web/Home","Search","My Favorites" 1-5). I am able to map a couple of these non-standard keys to SmartNAV functions (although the M$ software function launches also), but for others, such as the Favorites key, I get "Key 0 is already assigned to Unknown Hot Key."
It is possible to assign the favorites buttons to any local path or URL, but I haven't done that.
Any thoughts or experience about this? I appreciate that this is not a trivial question and there may not be a workaround.
Best regards,
Tommo
VincentG

Re: Microsoft Keyboard Software (M$ Ergo extended keys)

Post by VincentG »

Could the Microsoft software be using those keys for something else as well?

I don;t know of a way to assign them to a url, etc.
DonaldPneumonic

Re: Microsoft Keyboard Software (M$ Ergo extended keys)

Post by DonaldPneumonic »

Just try to simulate the keys you like most or the most comfortable with what you feel. If you repeatedly use the keyboard you will develop certain angles you like. Personally, just playing games or doing work, I can see that I am progressing into some good keyboard habits that I can capitalize with making shortcuts with. If you ask me, I like to have more global keys that persists even when I am inside another application.