Windows 7 conundrum

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
cgp

Windows 7 conundrum

Post by cgp »

I'm having an unusual problem with my SmartNAV 4. I've had it running for months on Windows 7 64bit Beta without any trouble whatsoever. Now I have the final release of Windows 7 64bit. I have the system set up in a duel boot where it will boot into either one. Still works perfectly fine with 7 beta. But it will not work with the full version of 7. I have tried different USB ports on the motherboard and in a powered hub. I've tried reloading the drivers. What happens is I do not get any red lights when Windows 7 full version starts. If I start the SmartNAV software it locks up in the taskbar and stays locked up. If I unplug the SmartNAV 4, and then start the software it tells me it cannot find the SmartNAV 4 hardware but it will open onto the desktop and allow me to change and save settings. If I try plugging in the SmartNAV 4 at this point the program locks up on the desktop. I've tried running it in administrator mode and same results. I've also made sure my administrator mode has full full control. Numerous restarts at different points in this process have made no difference. I'm pretty much at a loss. How can it work on exactly the same machine booted to one release of Windows 7 64 bit and be completely locked up on another with exactly the same hardware setup and drivers? Any ideas from anyone? I've spent hours on this and just can't figure out.
VincentG

Re: Windows 7 conundrum

Post by VincentG »

Any other programs running on the desktop, at the same time (icons down by the clock, on the taskbar)?

Any listings for unknown devices in the system device manager?

Which version of the SmartNAV software are you using?

When the device is plugged into the system, is it detected, and installed, under NaturalPoint devices, in the device manager?
cgp

Post by cgp »

I actually made a brand-new hard drive partition and formated it, did a clean install of Windows 7. Then I tried to install my SmartNAV 4 first thing. There is nothing else at all running. No unknown devices in device manager. Software is SmartNAV version 3.2 build 35. The SmartNAV 4 is recognized as SmartNAV 4 and the driver is shown to load successfully when the device is plugged in to any USB port. It is listed in the device manager under NaturalPoint devices.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

No other USB devices plugged in near the camera?
cgp

Post by cgp »

I solved the problem. I uninstalled all USB devices in "device manager", shut down, restarted. They all automatically reloaded. I shut down, restarted and it just worked.
Thanks, I got the idea from your questions!
jt_flyer

Post by jt_flyer »

Unable to use with windows 7. I've installed and uninstalled several times. Cleaned all the devices and then all drivers and reinstalled. The program indicates the camera status is good but the camera LED is not on and no indication that cameera is actually fuctioning. Any idea on what to do to get this to work or is it finally time for 3 screen display? Help. thanks in advance.
cgp

Post by cgp »

Make sure you run Smartnav in "administrative mode", also you could try going in "device manager" and uninstalling the USB driver for the main motherboard USB controller and shutting down, restart and all devices should auto-reinstall then restart again. This worked for me. Also try auto update online for all USB device drivers in "device manager" one at a time. Hope something here works for you.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What version of the SmartNAV software are you using?

What version of the SmartNAV do you have?

Are you connected directly to the PC, or are you using a hub?