Cursor delay / mouselag in games

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Roenie

Re: Cursor delay / mouselag in games

Post by Roenie »

bump, this was never resolved
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What is the CPU load when you are playing the games and experiencing the lag?

Have they tried increasing the SmartNav.exe priority using the task manager to see if it improves the situation?
Roenie

Post by Roenie »

I give up, your advice, I'm sorry to say, is useless and just runs around in circles. Had you read the OP properly you wouldn't be asking this, I quote from the OP:

"I tried setting the process priority of smartnav to highest, that didn't help.

Supreme Commander uses no more than 75% of my total CPU capacity. Smartnav uses 1% to 8%. I tried setting cpu affinity for the game and smartnav software each to their own core, this made the lag worse because the fps dropped to 50. Interestingly, setting both to use the SAME core and not allowing them to use the second core, also resulted in ~50 fps but with noticably less mouselag (still too much though). The cpu usage by smartnav does not increase while the game is running."

There comes a point where you just have to admit that the Smartnav software was not designed with games in mind as a priority at all, and that it just isn't suitable for lag free gaming. (and forget about first person shooters, it's just not practical and the unresponsiveness adds to that).

While it can be used for some games if the need is high and it is the only way someone is going to be able to play a game, it's far from responsive and framerate needs to be kept extremely high to prevent the lag to some degree.

I would appreciate it much more if you just admitted to this. If you disagree I ask that you forward this case to someone higher up the tech command tree.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Generally we do not see a lag, with most applications, in regards to the SmartNAV camera. The ones that I have seen the lag in, usually revolves around the gaming application trying to have some type of mouse control/setting/driver also working in the background. Since the SmarrtNAV is currently designed as an independent device, and not as a Haptic device, this can cause some issues.