Camera not detected after Win7 restore point

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
kalorvoe

Camera not detected after Win7 restore point

Post by kalorvoe »

Hi guys,

I've had a SmartNav 4 installed on my Win7(64) pc for about 4 months now and it has no problems.

About a week ago, I suddenly experienced choppy performance in games. The desktop was fine, game menus were fine, but in the gameplay it was a slideshow. The slightest movement would turn me about 60 degrees.

I just used Windows 7 to restore the system to a bit over a week ago (before I installed some dodgy webcam software). Now SmartNav won't even detect the camera!

If I start the software, I get the "Could not connect with a SmartNav Camera! Mouse control will be disabled until a SmartNAV camera is plugged in." message.

If I unplug the camera and plug it back in, Win7 tells me it can't find drivers for it. Different USB ports gives the same result.

I just uninstalled the SmartNav software and downloaded the new release. Installing it gives the same result :(

Save me Vincent! You're my only hope!
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: Camera not detected after Win7 restore point

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hello -

I would try the following:

Unplug the SmartNav device.
Uninstall the SmartNav software.
Re download the software, and save to your desktop, do not install.
Right click on the install package, and select properties, then click on the compatibility tab and set Windows XP SP3 mode.
Right click on the installer, and select "Run as administrator" (even if your account is an administrator).
Continue the installation as normal.
Plug in the camera, and wait for windows to detect it.
Run the SmartNav software.

If you still run into issues, Close the SmartNav software, enter your device manager, and force an update to the SmartNav drivers.