Windows 7 constant crashing

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
Lindsey

Windows 7 constant crashing

Post by Lindsey »

Does anyone else have problems with Smart nav crashing, every couple on minutes on Windows 7. It works fine on our other machine which is XP and I can see no other references to this in the forum. We are wondering if it is happening when we go to open a programme using an icon (either on the screen or the bottom bar). it works for a while but once it starts crashing it does it every couple of minutes. Turning the machine off and on again does not always help. Any suggestions?
dkehler

Re: Windows 7 constant crashing

Post by dkehler »

[quote=Lindsey]Does anyone else have problems with Smart nav crashing, every couple on minutes on Windows 7. It works fine on our other machine which is XP and I can see no other references to this in the forum. We are wondering if it is happening when we go to open a programme using an icon (either on the screen or the bottom bar). it works for a while but once it starts crashing it does it every couple of minutes. Turning the machine off and on again does not always help. Any suggestions? [/quote]

What do you mean by "crashing"?

In my experience, the SmartNav device is very finicky about USB ports. You need to have a good quality, powered USB hub and leave the SmartNav connected to the same port all the time or else you will run into problems where it just cuts out at random and/or not work properly after a reboot etc.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Is the software crashing (unexpected shutdown, possible windows saying that the software has stopped working) or is the camera just randomly no longer tracking?
gianaclaudia

Post by gianaclaudia »

with me it shuts down unexpectedly AND the camera stops tracking...
dras regul

Post by dras regul »

maybe disabling uac can help? (control panel > user accounts > change uac settings > slider full down; restart windows)!...
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

This can be very useful. I would recommend if you remove UAC that you reinstall the latest version of smartnav after doing this.