SmartNav stops working randomly

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
dkehler

SmartNav stops working randomly

Post by dkehler »

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit from scratch and an ongoing issue has resurfaced. That being that the SmartNav camera seems to lose the ability to track at random. The green tracking light goes out and all I can do is kill the SmartNav process by task manager and restart the SmartNav program. I have tried completely uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them and I have tried running as a minister and in compatibility mode for XP service pack two.

I have done all the usual steps like ensuring that all USB hubs cannot be turned off by the operating system and I am running on a powered USB hub.

I am physically disabled and cannot easily deal with malfunctions like this. I don't understand why this happens.

Please somebody help.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: SmartNav stops working randomly

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

A few questions to help troubleshooting:

What version of SmartNav are you running?
What operating system did you upgrade from? Were you experiencing any issues with that system?
Are you running the software as an administrator or did you run the installer as an administrator?
Is Windows UAC (User Account Controls) on or off?
dkehler

Post by dkehler »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Mike]A few questions to help troubleshooting:

What version of SmartNav are you running?
What operating system did you upgrade from? Were you experiencing any issues with that system?
Are you running the software as an administrator or did you run the installer as an administrator?
Is Windows UAC (User Account Controls) on or off? [/quote]

SmartNav 4, latest version of the software/driver.
Did not upgrade from an operating system at this time. It was simply a reinstall of Windows 7. However, I have had issues with this SmartNav camera even when running Windows XP and even on a different motherboard. This is also the second camera as I had RMAed one to NaturalPoint already.
My user account is the administrator account, but I have also set the software to run as administrator and in XP service pack two compatibility mode, as you advised and another thread.
Windows UAC is completely off.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

When you installed it, did you right click the install package and run that as an administrator?
dkehler

Post by dkehler »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Mike]When you installed it, did you right click the install package and run that as an administrator? [/quote]

Yes. Although I have to admit that the camera has not cut out for the past couple of days or so after doing it several times over the course of two days.