LINUX/ UBUNTU

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: LINUX/ UBUNTU

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Hey all -

With regard to uglyDwarf's response:
This could be a potential gray area, email support and I'll make sure the technician forwards the email to the approprate people.
uglyDwarf

Post by uglyDwarf »

Hello Mike,
I'm not sure what email you have in mind...
Kind regards,

Michal
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

You can always reach one of us at support@naturalpoint.com
uglyDwarf

Post by uglyDwarf »

Maybe I had too little sleep last few days, or maybe it has something to do with the fact, that I'm not native English speaker - I still don't get Mike's post...

Should I email the support, or should people email to NP support asking for Linux to be taken into account?

Please forgive me my ignorance, I just don't get it...
Kind regards,

Michal
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

You should email support and at that point we'll get it forwarded to the people who would have the relevant information for you.
uglyDwarf

Post by uglyDwarf »

Will do that...
I just wander whether the answer is going to come sooner than the answer to my last question ;)

I know that it is not your fault Mike, I just couldn't help it...
Kind regards,

Michal
uglyDwarf

Post by uglyDwarf »

Just to let interested people know...

I sent the email a week ago, so far no response what so ever... In fact, I'm still waiting for answers to questions asked more than year and half ago, so no big surprise there...

On the other hand, a kind user provided me with the data I need and so far it seems that incorporating SmartNav support to linuxtrack should not be a big problem...

The next step will be a mouse emulation application...
Kind regards,

Michal
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Email inbound, Michal. :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
uglyDwarf

Post by uglyDwarf »

Response received, negotiations ongoing... ;)
Kind regards,

Michal
uglyDwarf

Post by uglyDwarf »

Here is the NP's response to my queries:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Michal,

I talked over your proposal with some of my colleagues, and here's where things stand:

We understand the limitations you face with regard to licensing options on Google Code and appreciate your review of that option.

Our primary obligation in this case is to support the development investments of our OSX partner with whom we have an existing business agreement in place regarding assistive technology on that OS. Regrettably, since you are not able to limit the way SmartNav devices may be used on OSX, this means we will not be able to extend SmartNav firmware usage rights to your project at this time. In addition, to avoid unlicensed use of the SmartNav firmware, we also request that support for those devices not be added to your project.

We do sincerely appreciate both how you've sought to bring our technology to new audiences and respected our wishes while doing so--both of which motivate us to want to help you as we can.� Unfortunately, we don't feel that we have the freedom to do so in this case, even though the prospect of Linux support is appealing to us.
----------------------------------------------------------------