Options for toggling Precision function

This is the place for comments, criticisms and even the occasional compliment related to the SmartNav drivers and profiler. Also the place to discuss and review support issues.
ncumbie

Options for toggling Precision function

Post by ncumbie »

I just installed my SmartNav EG and I'm liking it so far. I really like the Precision function where when you hold down a hotkey the cursor sensitivity is reduced. In fact, I see myself using this function every time I actually click on anything. But that means it has to be really convenient to toggle the Precision function. It looks like from the SmartNav settings you can only enable a keyboard key. Are there other options as well? I think I read somewhere that it's possible to toggle Precision, Pause, Center, etc using ability devices like foot pedals. Is that true? Normally I left and right click by holding a small wireless mouse in my hand in my lap and clicking the mouse buttons. I would love to be able to toggle Precision using an extra mouse button. Is that possible?

One other note is that I work from home using Windows Remote Desktop (Win7). I've noticed that when my Remote Desktop window is not maximized that the hotkeys work but if I maximize Remote Desktop, keystrokes apparently bypass SmartNav and the hotkeys don't work. I've read several posts about this issue with VMWare. If I had a foot pedal or other ability device to toggle Precision, would it also work with Remote Desktop maximized?
ncumbie

Re: Options for toggling Precision function

Post by ncumbie »

Ah, I just found in the Clicking tab of the SmartNav control panel that under Ability Switch, you can indeed assign it to any of the hot keys. Very cool. So now I need to shop for an ability swtich. What I'm looking for is a device I can just hold in my hand in my lap. I have a standard wireless mouse that I hold in my hand just for mouse clicks (even before I started using SmartNav). Ideally, you'd be able to assign a mouse button to a hotkey, but I guess that would seem strange since the SmartNav is supposed to replace a mouse entirely.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

The SmartNav software can emulate a left or right click with a keyboard press. You can set these under control panel - clicking - hot keys.

Ability switches are good solutions, too. Having a normal mouse in your hand works well (remember to tape over the eye if it is an optical or laser mouse), or you can get something like our ergoclick 3 way switch or a pair of cap switches, both of which can be found on our accessories page
ncumbie

Post by ncumbie »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Mike]The SmartNav software can emulate a left or right click with a keyboard press. You can set these under control panel - clicking - hot keys.

Ability switches are good solutions, too. Having a normal mouse in your hand works well (remember to tape over the eye if it is an optical or laser mouse), or you can get something like our ergoclick 3 way switch or a pair of cap switches, both of which can be found on our accessories page [/quote]

I just purchased a small switch from EnableMart.com. The product link is here: http://www.enablemart.com/Catalog/Sensi ... Light-1-HD

I can't seem to get this switch to work with my SmartNAV. The switch has a standard 1/8" plug and I have plugged it into the back of the SmartNAV. I made sure the SmartNAV was plugged up to the computer when it booted and that the switch was plugged into the SmartNAV, when it booted. In the SmartNAV control panel I clicked the Clicking tab and under Ability Switch, set Left to Precision. But pressing the switch does nothing. I tried changing Left to Center, but still nothing.

The SmartNAV itself works fine and I had previously had Precision activated by the keyboard. So i tried disabling Precision in the Behavior tab in case it was conflicting, but that didn't make any difference either. I actually bought three of these switches and I've tried all of them with the same result. So it's not a defective switch. I'm using Windows 7 with 6GB RAM and a Corei7 950, so I have plenty of horsepower.
ncumbie

Post by ncumbie »

Ah, I wasn't using the left/right splitter with the new switch. I assumed that because I was only using one switch, I didn't need the splitter. But even if you plug in one switch, you still have to use the splitter. Works great now.

And since the switch is plugged right into the SmartNAV unit, it works even if I'm using Remote Desktop maximized. Before the switch when I could only use a keyboard key to activate Precision, having Remote Desktop maximized caused it to hijack all keyboard input and pressing the Precision key did nothing. If I had the Remote Desktop window restored to a window, the Precision key would work, but I really hate working with Remote Desktop not maximized. The switch and SmartNAV works great now.