how to sync optiTrack data , with on board drone camera

itayguy

how to sync optiTrack data , with on board drone camera

Post by itayguy »

I am a student in ANPL lab , we have optiTrack cameras (not even sure which type)
I have an ordroid with global shutter camera on it.

I am trying to collect images from the drone , and have the POS(x,y,z, + euler angles) from the optiTrack when the image was taken. (it can be offline)

do u have any good ideas or examples how to achieve that ?

all the best

Itay
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: how to sync optiTrack data , with on board drone camera

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello Itay,

Thank you for sharing your interesting project with the community.
This will take some thought, and probably some development, but there should be a way to achieve what you are looking for.

Most likely, you will just use Motive for the realtime tracking of the drone. Using the NatNet SDK, you can develop an application to receive the realtime position and orientation of the drone.
http://www.optitrack.com/products/natnet-sdk/

The application you develop would need to be responsible for triggering your drone to capture an image, while simultaneously pulling the realtime position and orientation from Motive. You should, then, know where your drone was looking when the photo was taken.

I do not know if this gives you the level of synchronization you are looking for, but if you are looking to capture infrequent photos, this setup should work.
If you require any further assistance with this, please feel free to open a Support ticket with us at help.naturalpoint.com

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer