24 Camera Layout

gkfricke

24 Camera Layout

Post by gkfricke »

Hello!

We have been using OptiTrack V100:R2 cameras with TrackingTools with great success in our mobile robotics lab -- great product!

I am currently reconfiguring the lab to use 24 cameras (up from 18 cameras) to maximize the captured volume -- we're now adding some small aerial vehicles!

The space is relatively small for these types of experiments; roughly 5m x 3m x 3.5m (W x L x H) usable (once computer desks and hanging lights are excluded). We have a truss constructed, following the walls as closely as possible (80x20 is awesome!), and I've seen the "24 cameras with truss" suggested layout (http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... mTruss.jpg). However, what's not clear from that image is the orientation of the cameras? I'd like to avoid having cameras blind each other to maximize the usable FOV.

Is there an updated version of this that shows orientation? Is there a particular strategy for avoiding this blinding situation?

Thank you!
NaturalPoint - Mike

Re: 24 Camera Layout

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

It may be a good idea to arrange them with a ring of 16 cameras as high as possible with 8 cameras placed in a low ring looking up. I'd start with all of the cameras in landscape (lens above or below LED display) and change them individually to portrait as the volume requires. It may be a good idea to lay this out before hand to plan appropriate hub placement and cabling, too.
gkfricke

Post by gkfricke »

Thank you, Mike, for the excellent guidance.

Are there any strategies for avoiding the blinding problem, e.g., an upward-looking camera looking into a downward-looking camera?
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Not really, Your best friend in this situation is proper masking.
gkfricke

Post by gkfricke »

Gotcha, thanks. Back to the ladder!
gkfricke

Post by gkfricke »

Bah!
I've been planning this upgrade so long that I've already imagined doing it -- so I've counted too many cameras.

I'm upgrading from 12 to 18, not 18 to 24.

Would the "pattern" change significantly from there?
Thanks for any help!
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

The 18 camera setup is really designed for the entertainment market, with 2 of the cameras intended for grayscale reference video. If you don't require reference video, your best symmetrical configuration at this camera count will be 16 tracking cameras, either 12 high and 4 low or 8 high and 8 low. Of course, if you already have the two extra cameras, you can include them in the volume as tracking cameras. In this case, I'd recommend mounting them high, on opposing sides.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack