Finger Tracking

UofAStudent

Finger Tracking

Post by UofAStudent »

Hello, I want to track the fingers of a person along with their skeleton. I read in the FAQ that finger tracking is not yet available. I assume this means, I have to figure out a way to do it myself, and that it is possible. My current approach will be to use tracking tools, or set up a rigid body for each finger. What do you think of this approach? All I really care about is streaming a set of points for the fingers along with the skeleton using the NatNet SDK. Let me know where to look.
bsteagal

Re: Finger Tracking

Post by bsteagal »

UofAStudent

As of the current version, finger tracking is not available.. however, it is supposed to be a feature available in the next version, Arena 2.0.. (currently in alpha testing) I don't know when this is coming out though.. perhaps a couple of months or in the beginning of 2013
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
UofAStudent

Post by UofAStudent »

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know if its possible just to stream markers on the fingers? I am currently using a 12 camera set up, do you think putting 20 tiny markers with 2 per finger, or 10 big markers will have enough resolution to distinguish them reliably? Is it possible to stream those markers independent of a skeleton while simultaneously streaming the skeleton too?

I am noob, so my understanding of it is pretty basic.
NaturalPoint - Mike

Post by NaturalPoint - Mike »

Bryan, UofA:

Finger tracking in Arena 2.0 is not going to be the full individual bone finger tracking that you're envisioning, rather there will likely be kinematics involved at some part for partial marker sets.

If you want to do full hand tracking without the rest of the body, you could marker the hands as you see fit and label the individual markers. It would be significantly more labor intensive, but it's possible. I've seen a customer do something similar with hand tracking for pianists already without the individual marker labeling in place (though he did have a fairly sophisticated custom analysis engine at the other end of the data for labeling and associating his data)
UofAStudent

Post by UofAStudent »

Thanks Bryan and Mike.

I will try out the individual labelling for each marker. I am doing gesture recognition with the entire body. Unfortunately some of the gestures require analyzing each individual finger in addition to the body. I wanted to see if the Optitrack was capable of this without resorting to something like the Acceleglove. For now, all I need are points of the body, and as long as I can tell which point refers to which part of the body then I am laughing.

Again, thanks, I will give the individual labelling of each marker a try and test that out.
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=Bryan Steagall]UofAStudent

As of the current version, finger tracking is not available.. however, it is supposed to be a feature available in the next version, Arena 2.0.. (currently in alpha testing) I don't know when this is coming out though.. perhaps a couple of months or in the beginning of 2013

[/quote]
Sooner than that. :)
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
MichaelWallis

Post by MichaelWallis »

Hi,
I was wondering how the Fingertracking is coming along? Is there an estimate, when Arena 2.0 will be available?

Thanks,
Michael
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Michael,

Keep your eyes peeled for more information on this in the coming 4-6 weeks. If you'd like more information right now, please contact me directly at seth[at]naturalpoint[dot]com and I'll shed a bit more light. :)

- Seth
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
Megalodon

Post by Megalodon »

Okay... it's past the middle of April.

What's the status of finger tracking? Can we do this now with Arena 2.0?
bsteagal

Post by bsteagal »

Hi Megalodon

Yes, it is working very well in Motive:body, which replaced Arena. The only thing, it only works with the flex-13, prime17 and prime41 cameras, which have the resolution necessary to do it.

You might, and I say might, be able to do it with the s250e's in a small capture volume with sufficient cameras (but it is not officially supported by NP)
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us