high accuracy small volume tracking

Raf

high accuracy small volume tracking

Post by Raf »

Hi,

I have 12 small squares (53mm x 53mm x 2mm) that I want to track uniquely in a very small volume (see attached figure of setup). Therefore, I attached a unique pattern of small infrared reflective small (flat) infrared reflective markers on top of each tile. On every tile I putted 5 small markers (I used a puncher to get very small, round and same sized markers out of the reflective tape that I have).

My setup consists of 8 flex13 optitrack camera's (see attached figure of setup). During calibration I got exceptional results in medium and high quality mode so I applied the high quality results. However, I needed to turn down the illumination of all the camera's to 5 instead of 15 because false positive markers were detected everywhere (most of them due to IR reflection on the table or hands/arms when users are interacting with the tracked squares).

However, the trackables are still tracked incorrectly many times. Actually, the tracking jitters a lot (e.g. trackables detected in the wrong orientation,...). I set the max marker deflection to 2 and the min hit count to 3 and flexibility to 10. Also setting the residual lower (from 5.x to 1.0) helped a little bit). But still the results are not optimal.

The trackables still jitter and the latency is relatively high because a lot of data is streamed (I think this is because the cameras are really close and thereby the markers are relatively big).

[img:center]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5276376/setup.png[/img]

Can somebody provide me some tips on how to improve this setup...? Maybe I need to put the camera's further away from each other?
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Re: high accuracy small volume tracking

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hi Raf,

Thank you for contacting us! We'd like to take a look at your data to better diagnose the source of these issues. Could I have you submit a support ticket at http://help.naturalpoint.com/ ? We will follow up with instructions on which files to upload, and how. Than we can better assist you on this issue. Have a great day!
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav