Set Up Issues...

kraze

Set Up Issues...

Post by kraze »

Hi every one,

I have 12 number of optitrack v100r2 cameras with all default lens, 4.5 mm.
I am having a open hall of 18 feet breadth and 23 feet length. Even its height is also almost 10 feet.

My goal is to:-
1) shoot some two character stuff(with out much contacts).
2) And also to get the best capture volume as much as I can with the sources I have.

Please, tell me the dimensions to plant all 12 cameras to form a good truss set up and to meet my requirements(Above mentioned two goals).

Thanks
Seth Steiling

Re: Set Up Issues...

Post by Seth Steiling »

Hi Kraze,

I would recommend making full use of the 18' x 23' setup space (which might require purchasing an additional OptiHub to overcome cable length restrictions), if possible. Generally you want to mount the cameras at about the max desired volume height. So if you're looking to have a 7' tall volume, mount the cameras 7' high, and aim them looking across the top of the volume. Or 8' high for an 8' tall volume, and so on. Note that increasing the vertical volume will decrease the horizontal volume.

Alternatively, you can mount them higher (like 10') and angle their aim down a bit. This can give you a little bit more horizontal capture volume, but usually with a reduced quality of data (due to the steeper angle relative to your performer, which can increase occlusion). I would only recommend this if the capture volume is too small otherwise.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
outreach

Post by outreach »

I do face few of these set up issues.I am thankful for such an interesting and important stuff about these.
kraze

Post by kraze »

Hi,

Your information is helpfull but it is not giving me clear picture...when am in field.

I need minimum 8 feet X 8 feet volume.
Please suggest me the exact dimensions at where cameras needs to be mounted so that I will get the best & max possible of volume.

Thanks
Kraze
bsteagal

Post by bsteagal »

Hi kraze

Is the room free of any columns/supports? Are you planning on capturing moves that will bring actors close to the ground? (kneeling, laying down, squatting) Are you using tripods or wall mounts?

I normally move cameras around depending on what I'm capturing, so sometimes you will have to play it by ear and play with configurations to get the best setup for your purposes

There are several ways you can set these up. You can either distribute all 12 cameras at the highest point, with cameras at the corners and on the short wall oriented portrait (meaning, the camera is oriented with the long axis up/down) and the cameras on the long wall oriented landscape. This is good if your actors will not be doing much kneeling/laying down

At the bottom of this page you can see different mounting placements

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... y-bundles/

In the 12 camera setup with truss.. you have eight cameras in the corners of your space, with the higher ones installed portrait and the lower ones landscape. All the others you will install high up in portrait.

You will get roughly a 9x10 capture volume if you aim the cameras correctly.

Hope this helps
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
bsteagal

Post by bsteagal »

Here's another topic that illustrates how to set the cameras up..

http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... 396&page=1
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
NaturalPoint - Brent

Post by NaturalPoint - Brent »

Hi Kraze,
In order to get an 8' x 8' capture volume with 12 cameras, you would need to be in a room that has the approximate dimensions of 16' x 16'. You would have 3 cameras on each wall. The end cameras would be 4' from the corner into the wall on each side, and the middle camera would be 4' from each of the end cameras. You would aim the end cameras so that the side vertical view lines up with the camera on the opposite side and the rest of the camera view is seeing the capture volume. The middle cameras you would just aim right into the volume. Because of the overlap from camera to camera, you will most likely have an area around the perimeter of the room where you will not be able to capture the entire body and this will wind up being about 6 to 8 feet because of the camera count and field of view of these cameras.

Please let us know if you need more assistance or have further questions.
kraze

Post by kraze »

Hi

Thanks for your great support.
Actually I have 6 big stands and 12 clamps.
And till now am working on circular composition only.
I have seen the image in the link you gave above, "http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... y-bundles/"
I think, I should buy 2 more stands to do this & will definetly buy them.
Please tell me at what height,higher ones are placed and at what height lower ones are placed.
Also tell me where should I aim all cameras(centre???)

Actually, we will rarely shoot laying down & kneeling down shots...
I will be the most lucky, If I get around 9X10 volume as you said above :)

Regards
Kraze
NaturalPoint - Brent

Post by NaturalPoint - Brent »

If you get two more stands and have a total of 8, then I would put the 8 higher cameras at about 8' high and aim them just below the cameras on the opposite sides. Keep in mind how tall your actors are and what moves they will be doing. If they are 6' tall and reaching above them, then you may want to have your cameras higher than 8'.

The other four cameras, you could just put a foot off of the ground and aimed more towards the center of the volume.

Instead of pointing the 8 high cameras just at the center of the volume, you could try to square out the space by going to the corner of each room and placing a camera stand 6' in to the center of each wall. You will have two cameras on each wall. Aim each camera to be just below the opposite cameras and so that you have the field of view closest to the wall lined up with the camera on the exact opposite side of the room.

Does that make sense?
kraze

Post by kraze »

Hi

I think am reaching closer to my goal.
My actors are less than 6 feet only.
Here are my few final doubts...

1) Where do you want me to place the 4 lower cameras exactly?
(Just one feet above the ground ? )

2) Am clear with the point like, 8 higher cameras should be aimed just below the cameras on opposite sides but Am not clear about the following lines you mentioned above...

"Instead of pointing the 8 high cameras just at the center of the volume, you could try to square out the space by going to the corner of each room and placing a camera stand 6' in to the center of each wall. You will have two cameras on each wall. Aim each camera to be just below the opposite cameras and so that you have the field of view closest to the wall lined up with the camera on the exact opposite side of the room"

I am confused with that stuff.
Kindly, can you Please explain it!

Thanks
kraze