What kind of data an I obtain from the OptiTrack system?

sj23

What kind of data an I obtain from the OptiTrack system?

Post by sj23 »

Suppose I am capturing any human motion, so what kind of information does Optitrack get from those markers? Possibly the following?
- Joint Angles
- Motion trajectories
- Position of the markers/frames in space with respect to base frame/marker

And what format is the data usually stored in, in case I wish to analyse it further?
Seth Steiling

Re: What kind of data an I obtain from the OptiTrack system?

Post by Seth Steiling »

The most common export formats for measurement and analysis applications would be BVH (skeletal data/joint angles) and C3D (marker data/XYZ). Integrating that data to calculate trajectories, kinematics, etc. in the analysis package of your choice should be straightforward, but isn't something that you would do within our software. Motive is strictly about obtaining pos/ori data--not the subsequent analysis.

The most common applications that users bring data into for biomechanical analysis would probably be Visual3D and MATLAB.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
sj23

Re: What kind of data an I obtain from the OptiTrack system?

Post by sj23 »

Seth Steiling wrote:The most common export formats for measurement and analysis applications would be BVH (skeletal data/joint angles) and C3D (marker data/XYZ). Integrating that data to calculate trajectories, kinematics, etc. in the analysis package of your choice should be straightforward, but isn't something that you would do within our software. Motive is strictly about obtaining pos/ori data--not the subsequent analysis.

The most common applications that users bring data into for biomechanical analysis would probably be Visual3D and MATLAB.
Thank you Seth! I will post here if I have any follow up questions!