850nm IR LED ring light suggestions

LamarLatrell

850nm IR LED ring light suggestions

Post by LamarLatrell »

Hello all,

For a V120 do you have any suggestions for off-the-shelf 850nm IR LED ring lights ?

Preferably the power electronics would be separable from the ring itself (so as to keep weight down on the arm of a facial motion capture helmet). The ring would be minimal in mass also.

Power and focus would be enough illuminate a face, such that with the V120 850nm band pass filter in place and an indoors lighting situation (no heavy IR from the sun, or otherwise) the IR LEDs would be the bulk of the illumination and other 'white' light wouldn't have much of a relative IR component. (Hope that makes sense :lol:)

Also, I understand that NaturalPoint develops it's own ring lights for the Optitrack range so if I had to roll my own for my V120, perhaps do you have any suggestions for the LED part? and also how best to go about power stage design?

(V120 is 'without case' option, and with 22mm outside diameter 4.5 mm M12 lens)

Any help greatly appreciated ;)
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: 850nm IR LED ring light suggestions

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello LamarLatrell,

Unfortunately, we do not have any formal recommendations regarding off-the-shelf components that would allow you to fashion the device you describe, but you are on the right track looking for an 850nm IR LED.
If you are looking for an IR camera with ring light illumination, we do offer the Flex3 as a solution to this need.

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Customer Support Engineer
LamarLatrell

Re: 850nm IR LED ring light suggestions

Post by LamarLatrell »

I found a spec of the Osram LED you use in an older optitrack part in a previous thread - that unit isn't available locally, but I found another Osram part, more powerful per LED, but I think I can link less together - as long as I've got at least 3, reckon I'm creating the beginnings of a ring light (yes the more the better, and the more spread of offset also) ;)

There are lot's more cheaper options, but I imagine with Osram I can can trust the specs a bit more (voltage/current/power, half-angle, spectral peak and distribution etc.)

Also, as the units are large I think I can get away with using no (SMD) PCB - 3D print a structure that hold them in place then directly solder thick wire (thicker for heat dissipation) ... Will prob melt the printed structure, but the offsets should be correct - simply print another one for the final LED install - the structure can stack 'fore' on the current V120 PSB mounts :mrgreen: