Short distance headtracking

jahuu

Short distance headtracking

Post by jahuu »

I need to achieve headtracking for an AR application in a small volume, similar to what seems to be possible with the TrackIR and Optitrack products. Since I am new to the naturalpoint products and headtracking in general, I'm not sure on what soft-/hardware to use exaclty. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.
So far I'm thinking about using a single optitrack flex 13 camera with an active or passive marker (like trackclip pro?) hoping that the Camera SDK will provide me with means to acquire the 6 DoF (especially rotation, not so much the positions) for use in my application. Maximum distance from camera to head will be around 50cm. Lighting conditions will be unstable with influence from sunlight to some degree, if this is a factor? Tracking needs to be responsive but not utterly precise to the millimeter.

So my questions here would be the following:
- Optitrack is often used for full body motion tracking in greater scenarios. Is the flex 13 still a reasonable choice for short range headtracking or should I rather use something like TrackIR which is much cheaper (but maybe for a good reason)?
- Can TrackIR also be used with the Optitrack SDKs for development or is it just a consumer device?
- Will a single camera setup be sufficient to achieve stable and reliable headtracking and what angles in head rotation will be possible? Or will I need to use multiple Cameras for better results?
NaturalPoint-Dustin

Re: Short distance headtracking

Post by NaturalPoint-Dustin »

Hello Jahuu,

Thank you for posting on the forums. I will have a Sales Engineer contact you via email.
Dustin
Technical Support Engineer
OptiTrack | TrackIR | SmartNav