Support for older software (Tracking tools)

plesur

Support for older software (Tracking tools)

Post by plesur »

Hi,

I'm currently working on an older machine which uses Tracking Tools (and not Motive).

I'm trying to read the data sent by the server using the matlab wrapper using this simple code:

Code: Select all

client = natnet();

client.HostIP = '169.254.108.220';
client.ClientIP = '169.254.40.8';
client.ConnectionType = 'Multicast';

client.connect

for i = 1:3
    tic
    client.getFrame
    pause(0.0083333)
end
However when running the script the connect function returns...

2016/6/17   12:6:16.573   natnet - connection established
2016/6/17   12:6:16.579   natnet - reattempting a failed command
2016/6/17   12:6:16.784   natnet - reattempting a failed command
2016/6/17   12:6:16.986   natnet -  failed to send command
and all the frames retrieved are empty:

Frame: 0
           Timestamp: 0
            Timecode: 0
    TimecodeSubframe: 0
     UnlabeledMarker: [1x1 NatNetML.Marker[]]
       LabeledMarker: [1x1 NatNetML.Marker[]]
           RigidBody: [1x1 NatNetML.RigidBodyData[]]
            Skeleton: [1x1 NatNetML.SkeletonData[]]
Using wireshark the communication between host and client works but it seems to me that the packets are not in the same format. Am I right ?

If I am...
* The server is running windows XP, can it run a Motive version compatible with the NatNetSdk ?
* Can I use the same license for Tracking Tools and Motive ?
* Is there an older version of the NatNetSdk which would make the binding between Matlab and Tracking Tools possible ?

Besides is there some more verbose documentation on how are the packets sent ? I might just read the packet manually and would like to know what I'm supposed to read.

Thanks !
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Support for older software (Tracking tools)

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello plesur,

Thank you for reaching out to the community regarding your issue.
As much as possible, we try to maintain backward compatibility as we update our NatNet SDK.

Have you changed the Multicast IP address in TrackingTools? One thing that comes to mind is that our default Multicast Address may have changed since the days of TrackingTools. So if you are using a recent version of our NatNet SDK, you would either need to set the Multicast address to match in your code, or you may be able to set the Multicast Address to our new default, in Tracking Tools.
The current default Multicast address is 239.255.42.99

If you have not already done so, you may want to test the connection to TrackingTools by running the pre-compiled samples that are included with the NatNet SDK.
I would recommend running the SampleClient3D and the WinForms test apps.

Try testing locally, on the machine running Motive, and try testing remotely, on the client, to see if there is a difference. All firewalls and antivirus software will need to be disabled, as they can interfere with the stream and prevent communication.

If you are ever able to upgrade to more current software, I would highly recommend you start using Motive so we can properly support you. If you require any further assistance with this, please feel free to reach us at help.naturalpoint.com

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer