V120:Trio + HTC Vive Sync

AndreZ

V120:Trio + HTC Vive Sync

Post by AndreZ »

Hello,

I am currently setting up a VR system using an OptiTrack Trio and the HTC Vive. Unfortunately, the OptiTrack frequently interferes with the HTC Vive's tracking and as a result, the HMD fails to detect the base stations.
So I just found the article describing the synchronization of the HTC Vive system with an OptiTrack system using
  • * the eSync2
    * a 3.5mm stereo cable
    * a 3.5mm stereo female to (2x) RCA male adapter
    * a RCA female to BNC male adapter
(here: http://wiki.optitrack.com/index.php?tit ... ive_System )

As this promises to solve my problem, my question is, if this synchronization is also possible with an OptiTrack Trio?
My idea was to plug the cable into the "Sync In" port on the Trio's I/O box instead of using "Input 1" on the eSync 2?
Will this work out?
Or is there any other solution ?

Thanks & Best,
André
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: V120:Trio + HTC Vive Sync

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi André,

Thank you for reaching out to the community regarding this question.

The online documentation says that, currently, only sync configurations with Prime-series camera systems have been tested. The USB sync is not as reliable as the sync provided in our Ethernet systems, so it is possible you may still see your Trio interfering with the Vive.

That being said, you can certainly try using the sync in on the Trio to see if the same offsets can be applied.

This is not a reliable method, but since the frame rate, exposure and LED intensity on the cameras are all related, sometimes a random setting change like lowering the LED intensity or Exposure has prevented interference in other VR setups.

Best regard,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
AndreZ

Re: V120:Trio + HTC Vive Sync

Post by AndreZ »

Hi Steven,

thanks for your fast response!

In the meanwhile, I found that the loss of the Vive's tracking when starting Motive was not directly related to IR interference. It rather seems that the USB ports were unable to handle the Vive and OptiTrack simultaneously.

When running Motive on a different machine and streaming the frame data via network, the Vive was tracked much more robustly in the same setup.

Thanks again and best regards,
André