Tracking hands and some objects - is OptiTrack the solution?

bio998

Tracking hands and some objects - is OptiTrack the solution?

Post by bio998 »

Dear community,

I am exploring whether OptiTrack would be suitable for my use case.

I want to track juggling. This would mean ideally 6DOF on each hand, and potentially the elbow and shoulder position. In addition, the 3DOF (or even just 2DOF) tracking of 3 juggling balls that are being juggled by someone.

I have already tried using a Wiimote system to track juggling balls, which works well, but I also have access to OptiTrack, and would like better data. Also, a Wiimote can only track 2DOF of up to 4 objects.

I already have balls with a retroreflective coating. Can I use optitrack to simply track the hands and also track the balls, out of the box, or how much effort would be required? Would I have to interpret the raw data for the balls or something?

Thank you in advance.
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Tracking hands and some objects - is OptiTrack the solut

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello bio998,

Thanks for reaching out to the community regarding your questions.
What you are trying to do does sound like something our system is capable of.

The ball tracking you proposed would require some additional thought and some manual labeling of the data, so we may want to rethink the approach to tracking the balls.

I highly suggest you reach out to sales@optitrack.com with details regarding what you are trying to capture. They will be the best resource for describing the setup that would be needed, and the capabilities of our tracking in relation to your project.

Best regards,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer