Not recognizing all cameras after they are powered off

rpglab

Not recognizing all cameras after they are powered off

Post by rpglab »

I'm a member of a robotics research lab that uses an OptiTrack system for tracking mobile robots.

We've experienced the following problem repeatedly: if our cameras are powered off and later powered back on, existing Motive projects may not recognize all of the cameras. However, it's possible to create a new Motive project and import the same trackables as in the old project, and then all of the cameras are recognized. I'm not certain if this always happens after the cameras are power cycled, since there are many of us sharing the same system, but it does happen quite frequently. While creating a new project is an adequate workaround, it can be annoying and time consuming.

We currently have a system with:
  • 4x Prime 17W cameras
  • 10x s250e cameras
  • Motive 1.10.0
Has anyone else experienced something similar, or have a solution?
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Not recognizing all cameras after they are powered off

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello rpglab,

The behavior you are describing is not a common issue, nor is it expected. Regardless of powering your system off and on, your Project should continue to recognize your setup unless you have physically swapped out some of the cameras.

It is possible this is behavior related to the older version of Motive that you are using. We are currently on Motive 2.0 Beta 2, where the current state is retained much better between sessions. If your license allows, I would recommend you test with the current version to see if you continue to experience the inconsistency.

If you do continue to struggle with this, please feel free to reach out to us directly.

Thanks,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
rpglab

Re: Not recognizing all cameras after they are powered off

Post by rpglab »

Thank you for the suggestion. We updated our Motive software, and have not yet experienced the camera recognition problem. Since it was always intermittent, it's difficult to say if this issue is fully closed, but I will follow up if it does happen again. Thanks!