camera setup with 18 Flex 3 cameras

itzzartem

camera setup with 18 Flex 3 cameras

Post by itzzartem »

I am currently setting up 18 Flex 3 cameras for robotics motion capture. The cameras will be placed in a 16' x 16' square mounted to the ceiling, the height of which is 10'. What is the maximum coverage possible with good tracking of small rigid bodies, approx. 6" in diameter. What would the best positioning for the cameras be and where should they be aimed?
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: camera setup with 18 Flex 3 cameras

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello itzzartem,

Technically, the maximum volume for an 18 camera Flex 3 system is about 20 x 20 feet, with the cameras in a 24 x 24 foot perimeter. If you are tracking small rigid bodies, you may need to use smaller markers in close proximity, which may limit the size of your volume a bit.

Your 16 x 16 foot space may work out ideally, allowing you to track the rigid bodies in most of that area. The best tracking typically occurs a couple feet in from the perimeter, so you may have the most optimal results in an area of about 12 x 12 feet.
If you do not need the full 10 feet, I would recommend mounting the cameras 8 feet high.

For camera placement, I would suggest an even spread around the volume. You can find guidelines for camera placement and aiming in our online documentation.

If you require any further assistance, please feel free to reach out to our Support team directly.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com