Tracking Quality Issues

Fabio

Tracking Quality Issues

Post by Fabio »

Hello,

I have a very annoying issue with tracking, here is the problem:
I have three rigid bodies, that I use with Unreal to track camera movement. The marker are well positioned above the cameras and all the Optitrack cameras can see those markers very well.
It happens that even with continuous calibration (or without it) random cameras start to drop and then hook again the tracking on some markers. That become a problem because everytime this happens the pivot point of the rigid body moves slightly and the result is a little jitter on the camera in Unreal. This makes the use of Optitrack in production (expecially live) pretty difficult.

I have 16 Primex 13 in a 8 x 8 mt studio, every camera can see the marker very well.
The cameras looks on focus.
I tried tweaking threshold, gain and exposure with no visible effect.

The system is pretty expensive and I expect an excellent tracking quality without worries that my cameras start to jitter during a live event.

Any help will be appreciated,

thank you
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Tracking Quality Issues

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello Fabio,

Thank you for reaching out to the community regarding your tracking difficulties.

These types of issues are difficult to troubleshoot without seeing the data. If you would like some help, please feel free to reach out to our Support team directly. When you do, please share a recording (.tak) showing the issues you are encountering. That will be a good starting point for us to work on this together.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
support@optitrack.com
Fabio

Post by Fabio »

Hello Steven,

thank you for your reply. I am investigating right now in those issues and I noticed that this hook/unhook beahvior happens expecially when the seen markers are on the border of the views or a little too far, and not percectly on focus.
I am changing the setup of the cameras to see what happen.
Fabio

Post by Fabio »

I would like to change the title of this post from "Bad Tracking Quality" to something like "Tracking Quality Issues" or something like that, because i realized that "bad" is the wrong terms to use, Optitrack tracking is very good.
Is it possible?
steven.andrews
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by steven.andrews »

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for the thoughtful gesture.

I updated the title for you.

Cheers,
Steven
--