Minimum space requirements for 'story' mocap?

LiannaS

Minimum space requirements for 'story' mocap?

Post by LiannaS »

The company I am about to join is considering moving to a new office space and want me to weigh-in on the viability of shooting mocap on-site. We're working on a AA/AAA video game with realistic characters. They have a flex 13 optitrack system with 24 cameras & tripods to mount them. My question is what is the minimum space requirement for our mocap volume? We want to use this space to shoot full story cinematics with characters running, traversing small environments and fight scenes. Is 400 sq/ft enough space for shooting this type of mocap? Ceilings are 12 feet high if that makes any difference.

We also have the ability to configure the space into a larger 18x40 rectangle shape but I know this isn't typically the best configuration for optimum coverage.

The floors are also hardwood, so quite shiny. I have advised buying a rubber floor mat to reduce reflections.

Any advice or feedback on this would be much appreciated! I wasn't able to find much info on the specifics of the space requirements on the wiki or Optitrack FAQ.
bsteagal

Re: Minimum space requirements for 'story' mocap?

Post by bsteagal »

Hi LiannaS

Flex13's are normally installed in roughly a 24x24 foot space (or some configuration of that), which is the maximum they can reach due to the limitations of usb cabling. You are going to get with this a roughly 12x12 capture volume. This limits what you can do in that space, so any captures you do have to keep that in mind. With 24 cameras, you will need 4 available usb ports (to distribute them across your usb controllers, use 2 in front, 2 in back)

Distribute your optitrack hubs in this space and you will most likely use 2 active usb cables per hub to bring that back to your capture workstation

Yes, do get a rubber floor mat, as the shiny hardwood floors can cause a lot of issues
Hope this helps and if you have any questions, please let me know

thanks
Bryan Steagall
Owner
Kidz Korner Studio
OptiTrack Distributor
Mexico, Central and South America
505-615-2410
bryan@kkstudio.us
www.kkstudio.us
LiannaS

Re: Minimum space requirements for 'story' mocap?

Post by LiannaS »

Thank you!!