Active question about LED Marker

blakeadam

Active question about LED Marker

Post by blakeadam »

Hi All

My first time here so please be gentle... also I hope I can make this as clear as possible.

My company works in digital optics and bought an Optitrack system 2 years ago which I have been using for acquisitions.
We have 3 Prime 17W cameras, eSync, markers on a hat etc.

We have the system on a custom rig placed in a corner where there is light coming in through a window both in front and from the side.

This all worked fine until another office in another European city got the same system and set it up the same way.

This other location gets a lot more sunlight than we do here and the result was that in sunlight, the marker spheres seem to scatter reflections everywhere, causing the data we stream from from Motive to jump wildly.....see video here https://photos.app.goo.gl/B9Z2711jHa46qNCo2

We're wondering would active LED markers solve this problem, though they are expensive. Maybe one of you have come up against this problem before and maybe has a solution

Any help would be really appreciated,
NaturalPoint Employee

Re: Active question about LED Marker

Post by steven.andrews »

Hello blakeadam,

Thank you for reaching out to the community regarding the active tracking.
Our active markers could help to remove the noise that is being caused by the sunlight, since reflections that are not recognized will generally be ignored.

I would suggest reaching out to our sales engineers and describing the full setup, so they can help to determine if this solution will work for you. If you can provide some sample data (.tak) showing the light interference, that may be useful as well.
sales@naturalpoint.com

In the meantime, you can try things like blocking the windows, or lowering camera exposure, to see if this reduces the light noise enough to improve your tracking. That may be a little tricky if you are competing with sunlight; you will want to make sure you do not lower the exposure enough that the markers are no longer visible.

Feel free to reach out to us directly if you have any other questions.

Best,
Steven
--
Steven Andrews
OptiTrack | Senior Customer Support Engineer
help.naturalpoint.com
wiki.optitrack.com
support@optitrack.com