Rotation Translation

bruns

Rotation Translation

Post by bruns »

Hello,

I have run the demo "Optitrack sample" which gives me the rotation and translation.
I suppose that these angles are Euler angles, right?
What about the values for position? Are these metric or only relative?

Is there some documentation about the algorithm how the position and rotation is determined?

Thanks a lot.

[ September 01, 2005, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: E.B. ]
buw

Re: Rotation Translation

Post by buw »

does nobody have an answer to this question? I would appreciate some information, too...

Thanks...
ericd

Post by ericd »

The x, y, and z values are distances in mm from the camera. The point used to calculate this position is a rough estimate of the point of rotation of a person's head. The position is calculated assuming the vector clip is placed on the brim of a baseball cap on the users head. It is calculated by taking a normal to the plane formed by the vector clip. Human head rotation is a complex movement, so this point of rotation is a simplification of the problem.

The angles returned by the API are simply the angles formed by the vector plane. Typically they are used as relative measures where the users "center" themselves to the camera.

The algorithm for determining the position of the vector clip is proprietary.
buw

Post by buw »

thanks...
what exactly do the different colors of the markers in the camera image mean?
There is an option to change the color of tracked and untracked markers in one of the dialogs, but the markers also change their colors to white and grey...
vrc

Post by vrc »

Hello.

I have to convert the roll/pitch/yaw values into a rotation matrix. Apparently there are 6 possible conventions regarding the (Roll/Pitch/Yaw) Euler angles in use: xyz, xzy, zxy, zyx, yzx or yxz.
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_angl ... onventions and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw,_pitch_and_roll

Therefore I'd like to know which euler angle convention do you follow.
I found no information about this, can you help?

Thanks...
Birch

Post by Birch »

Hello,

Unfortunately INPVector has not been a supported interface for a couple years now. However, there is some information below.

You may want to review the following thread :
http://forum.naturalpoint.com/forum/ubb ... #Post27668

Also note Eric's earlier answer :
"The angles returned by the API are simply the angles formed by the vector plane. Typically they are used as relative measures where the users "center" themselves to the camera."
vrc

Post by vrc »

thanks for the information