camera tracking in classrooms

williamc

camera tracking in classrooms

Post by williamc »

I am a streaming media engineer working for an e-learning company. Schools are eager to automate the capture of video and audio podcasts of classroom lectures, using tools such as Apreso Classroom from Anystream.

One problem which consistently arises is the automation of camera tracking. Some expensive (DOD-type) solutions have been tried using IR beacons and they seem to work. I'm wondering if a low-cost product could be developed (or perhaps already exists) using TrackIR?

The basic requirement would be for the video camera to receive control signals from software that would allow it to track an IR tag or beacon from across a room. There are already low cost cameras that can perform the necessary PTZ movements based on software control (usually manipulated by a joystick). The usual approach is to have 2 cams: a wide angle view to track the beacon and a tighter view to follow the speaker or (in this case) classroom instructor.

Anyone already doing this? Any suggestions?
warrenEBB

Re: camera tracking in classrooms

Post by warrenEBB »

This sounds like a use for our OptiTrack system (which is more for customized optical tracking solutions).
I'll make sure the right people here at NaturalPoint see this post and get back to you as soon as possible, William.
Thanks.
Birch

Re: camera tracking in classrooms

Post by Birch »

William,

Warren is correct, it sounds like your application would be a good match for our OptiTrack line of products which provide IR tracking cameras, an SDK to access the tracking capability and several sample applications in various programming languages. The OptiTrack SDK is available as a download from our website, and we encourage you to review it and let us know if you have any questions.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... loads.html

[ September 15, 2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: NaturalPoint - Birch Zimmer ]