Camera synchronization protocol

aghman

Re: Camera synchronization protocol

Post by aghman »

I'm really interested to learn more about the V100 sync mechanism, is there a link to the PDF that you guys were working on?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

The ability to sync with the cameras has been greatly improved since this topic was starrted (2007/2008)

With the release of the V100R2 cameras, and the OptiHub, you have a larger amout of options for syncing to external devices.

You can find a copy of the OptiHub manual below, which goes into detail on sync to external devices.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... Manual.pdf
aghman

Post by aghman »

Thanks for the info on the Optihub, it has some great features, but it doesn't do quite what I'm looking for.

I have an application requiring XY detection of a high volume of laser spots on a projection screen. In some cases the volume is so high that we have a number that occur in a single frame. We have a theory where if we could sync two of the V100 SLIM cameras 90 degrees out of phase with each other (i.e a half frame separation in timing) that we can resolve some of our issues.

Is the sync timing for the cameras a simple clock pulse or is there data in the sync pulse?
How is the sync pulse activated? i.e. what determines which camera is the Master?
With the camera running I connected an oscilloscope to the sync out/in lines on the V100 and only saw a consistent hi voltage of 4.7V and 3.3V (don’t remember which respectively), but I did not see anything that resembled a clock pulse. Should I see some sort of signal on these lines with the camera running?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

OK, being able to have seperate capture volumes, that are slightly "out of phase" (interleaving)would be something different, and is part of the Tracking Tools software -

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... ing-tools/

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/p ... os.html#tt
aghman

Post by aghman »

That sounds like what we are trying to do, timing wise. Is it possible to combine the tracking tools with use of the optitrack SDK? For example, we've got a whole tracking application that uses the SDK. Could we set up interleaving in the tracker tools, run our tracking application, and receive data from all of the cameras using the timing from their interleaved setup from the Tracker Tools?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

No, as they are seperate applications, and they can't access the cameras at the same time.
aghman

Post by aghman »

Is there any way to get point data (x, y, etc) out of the tracking tools to another application in real time?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

You can stream data, either via TrackD, VRPN, or thru our NatNet interface

http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/s ... #streaming

Real-time Streaming and Extras
[Show NatNet, VRPN & Trackd]
aghman

Post by aghman »

One final question (for now) :grin:
Is it possible to set up & utilize the interleaved groupings with the tracking tools API? Or, do you need to use the GUI to set up the groupings, and then use it your own application via the API?
Thanks for all the help!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Not sure, I will defer to our TT programmer, who is out this week