Sharing views when calibrating

jhjeon82

Sharing views when calibrating

Post by jhjeon82 »

Hi,

I'm trying to cover as much volume as possible with 12 cameras.

While doing that, I have had an essential question.
Do I need to make "all" cameras share some points in view when calibrating to make sure results converge? Or is it preferable but not required?

I have been trying with cameras for quite a long time, so calibrating in many usual cases are not difficult to me. But when some cameras didn't see the shared points, every calibration failed. So I'm wondering whether it is supported by current algorithms. If not, I should find other ways, so just let me know whether it's possible. (Actually, I sent an e-mail recently with hopes that you can make algorithms converge generally. But I have to choose how to proceed, so even though it's not possible now, I'm not asking you to fix it. Just let me know whether it's possible or not by "current" algorithms to determine my next approaches.)

Best wishes,
hpcv

Re: Sharing views when calibrating

Post by hpcv »

Yes, alas, currently there must be a volume that can be seen by all cameras.

The ability to have non-overlapping camera volumes is, I think, one of the most often requested features on this forum :)
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Currently all cameras must be pointed towards a central volume and overlap. We are working on new calibration methods that will give you a lot more freedom in camera placement and orientation. In general though, there will always need to be camera overlap, so the cameras can be "chained" together, so they have a reference position relative to each other.

The new calibration method will be a free upgrade to current ARENA users. We don't have a time line for the release just yet, but it is an active research area.
jhjeon82

Post by jhjeon82 »

Good to hear you are working on that. But, is that only for ARENA users? I'm using RigidBody Toolkit.

Regards,
Jim

Post by Jim »

Oh yeah, this is the General OptiTrack forum, sorry. :) Yes, it will be for all our tracking applications, including the RB toolkit.