Running Arena under Linux

jah71

Running Arena under Linux

Post by jah71 »

I was able to register the Arena software successfully under a Linux OS using WINE; however, it doesn't pick up the camera. I know that Natural Point FAQ stated that there weren't any plans to have drivers for linux; are there any other 3rd party alternatives?
VincentG

Re: Running Arena under Linux

Post by VincentG »

Currently I am not aware on any
jah71

Post by jah71 »

would you consider releasing the source code for the drivers to the open source community in order for them to develop Linux support for the optitrack system? You would be opening up a bigger market if you do, and you wouldn't have to pay the developers to do the work for you.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It is something I can run by the development team, but I am not aware of any plans to do it in the near future.
jah71

Post by jah71 »

Linux is rising in popularity. I dropped almost $10,000 for the Optitrack / Arena MOCAP system. I am in the process of starting my own Animation and VFX studio that will be using an all open source solution; with exception to this. I have to keep one PC with windows just to use the MOCAP system.

I know there are a lot of other people that are looking to do what I do. Small startups in the animation industry. The open source community is huge and there are a lot of developers out there that would jump at the chance of making your products work for Linux if you would release the source code (for the drivers only).

Your Optitrack products price point are targeted at a certain demographic that would be the most likely to use linux in an Open Source environment / studio.

Please develop drivers for Linux, or release them for other open source developers to do so.
In doing so you are only widening your target user base.

Thanks again,
Jeff
jah71

Post by jah71 »

In my production pipeline, I am using Animux (a debian distro - animux.org), and primarily using Blender (blender.org)as my 3D Animation tool of choice. From what I was informed, Blender has had over 2 million downloads world wide. This is a bigger installed user base than a lot of other "professional" 3D apps out there.

If you could talk to the lead developer of Blender, Ton Rosendaal about doing some kind of integration / plugin the same way you did with Daz studio, I'm sure you would get a lot of free marketing possibilities out of it. Every year the Blender team comes up with an Open Movie project that makes the front cover of a lot of 3D magazines and the next one for this year, I believe Ton mentioned that they could use motion capture. Regardless, I would open up communications with him and his development team. I strongly believe there is a great potential opening up a larger user base as the price point for your product really fits in line with the demographics of the Linux Open Source community.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

We understand your point, and have looked into it.

It is not just a matter of drivers, but also the software that accesses, and uses the hardware as well.

I believe some forum users here have posted on the Blender forums about getting a streaming plugin written, but I don't think there haven't been any takers yet.