Help needed upgrading mocap system from 6 cameras to 8

Jackbaueri_85

Help needed upgrading mocap system from 6 cameras to 8

Post by Jackbaueri_85 »

Hi everybody.

Our school bought optitrack mocap system with 6 V100R2 cameras. We're using hexagon staging and we're having pretty average results. By average i mean our capture area diameter is about 3 meter (9.8 feet). We have some occlusion especially in the foot area.

We need bigger area to capture our movements. We're thinking about buying 2 cameras more so we could get better results and we could use square staging(2 cameras in each corner). We're hoping that 2 cameras could improve our results.

Does anyone have experience about upgrading mocap system from 6 cameras to 8. Will our results going to be any better.
Does our capture volume get any bigger and is occlusion going to be reduced?

Any help is appreciated
tvining

Re: Help needed upgrading mocap system from 6 cameras to 8

Post by tvining »

I started with a 6-camera system in a 14'x14' area and the capture volume was far too small. I upgraded to 8 cameras with wide-angle lenses, and it made a huge difference, since instead of cameras being 14' apart, they are now about 18' apart, since they are set in the corners of the the 14'x14' area. I feel like 12 cameras would be ideal, to fill in the gaps, but I am able to get very good captures with the 8.
kdoyle

Re: Help needed upgrading mocap system from 6 cameras to 8

Post by kdoyle »

Running Optitrack R2 with 8 cameras gives really nice results in rectangular staging at around 15x17, for me. With that, you get a few metres to run around in each direction from the center. Movement is captured very nicely for things like dancing or martial arts, and a thousand other things which are sort of 'free movement' i'd describe it as - where limbs are extended a bit - not folding up, hunched over. I get occlusions for things like resting hands on hips, folding arms, hunching over type things .. sometimes, sometimes not. Sitting and lying down things aren't comfortably captured with 8 cams. I'm moving to 12 cams soon so actor can be a bit more expressive without thinking so much about making the markers visible