SLIM:V100 Sync

aghman

SLIM:V100 Sync

Post by aghman »

I've got two SLIM:V100 cameras, a system running Tracking Tools, and a "cable" (simple wire with pins) connecting the Sync Out(camera 1) to Sync in (camera 2). Whenever I start up Tracking Tools, running a default setup (all cameras in 1 group), I can't get the cameras to achieve hardware sync. I've achieved it in the past, but it's never been 100% repeatable between sessions. Is there an issue with SLIM syncing in general, or is there some step I'm missing? I've tried different cables, but with the same, dubious results.
wing

Re: SLIM:V100 Sync

Post by wing »

Sync'ing between V100:SLIMs is indeed supported and no known issues have been recorded against this feature.

Are you hooking up a wire between the GND (Pin#1 on the header) of the master and slave cameras?

i.e.
Master-SLIM Slave-SLIM
#1 #1
#7(SYNC_OUT) #8(SYNC_IN)

Also, do NOT wire Master-SLIM.#8 back to Slave-SLIM.#7, or you'll succeed in creating an merry-go-round, deadlock situation.
aghman

Post by aghman »

No, there's no ground wire between the two. I wasn't aware (quite naively) that this was necessary.
wing

Post by wing »

Let us know if that fixes the problem. The lack of a direct ground will cause severe signal-integrity problems as the return current for SYNC will have to wind its way back on one USB cable, somehow bridge its way across to the other USB cable and then back up to the camera. That may explain the 'unreliability' you saw in the past.

It's easy to check if your cameras are in sync in Tracking Tools. Just go to Camera Layout and it should say at the bottom of the video screen of the cameras "Sync: Hardware".
wing

Post by wing »

Pls check one more thing:

On the side of the board that has the lens on it, right next to the (backside) of the 8-pin expansion-header, closest to Pin#5 of this connector -- are there TWO tiny black components, or just ONE? There should be two.
aghman

Post by aghman »

I didn't have any luck with syncing, even with the grounds connected, and the sync line hooked up properly.

From what I can tell, on both of the V100 cameras that I disassembled, there's only one black component where you described. Just for clarity, I've attached images of the board that I took:

Camera A

Camera B (which is newer than A, but still seems to have only one little black component)
aghman

Post by aghman »

As an addendum, I checked with two of our other V100s, only one has the 2 small black components that match the V100 board photo on your site.
Your photo:
wing

Post by wing »

Ok. That would be the reason that camera-to-camera sync is not working. Unfortunately, we had a batch of bad board. If you're in a rush to get it working and are handy with a soldering-iron, then go ahead and bridge the two pads of the missing component together (making sure the solder doesn't reach any other adjacent pads).

If not, pls call or email our support line and we'll send you out replacements right away.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.