Oculus Rift

antcross01

Oculus Rift

Post by antcross01 »

Hi

You guys must of heard of the oculus rift VR head mount display
that will be coming out soon http://oculusvr.com/

its in development now and there will be dev kits shipping in december
the thing is they have accelerometer tracking, and have said to get the tracking really accurate they are going to have to do some sort of optical tracking aswell

hence why I am here, you guys are the best at it and have the best support, I think it would be mutually beneficial if you guys worked together, all it would mean is adding is some leds to the hmd?. and then people would buy a trackir (I already have one) or it could be bundled even, the optical tracking and accelerometer tracking would work together boosting its accuracy, plus alot of games the tracking would already be supported by the trackir software which is great for us consumers, why reinvent the wheel?

its win win for everyone in my opinion if this could be made to happen

I think the oculus rift is going to take off big time, they got there kickstarter goal within a few hours

anyway thanks, and I hope you guys get in touch with the oculus guys
roads

Re: Oculus Rift

Post by roads »

I think the Rift is quite dangerous for the TrackIR. It has a Gyro and Game devs will not support the TrackIR when they already support the Oculus Rift so even less games will be supported.
The Rift will have nausea problems big times as Headmovement will not corrspond exactly with what you see. The TrackIR could reduce the feeling of immediate vomit.

Here game devs talk about the Oculus Rift and they have no idea how bad the gyro head movement will be compared to trackIR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daZHbKPhLRc

Please Naturalpoint get in touch with Oculus and ask them if there are nausea problems and if you can help by adding the TrackIR capability to the Rift.

Dont miss your chance.

PS the Rift dev is even saying latency is a problem. TrackIR is their resolution for nausea and latency also.
roads

Post by roads »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNo8jNJBQXI

more on nausea and dizziness
jolsonsalem

Post by jolsonsalem »

Nausea can be a problem for any head tracking, and a portion of that is going to be how the head tracking is implemented in a title. We have a very small portion of customers who end up returning their TrackIR set up due to motion sickness. I'm curious to see how they get it dialed in though.
lmimmfn

Post by lmimmfn »

@Jeff - the rift isint really competition for trackir, in that it cannot track as fast as trackir, but of course trackir can only track while youre facing the camera.

When my rift dev kit arrives i want merge trackir tracking when im front facing so that there is no drift and use the rift tracking when im turning around etc.

Longshot, but will there be any support for this from trackir? if not, the trackir SDK is only available to established devs, which is no good for Oculus experimentation, are we going to get any help from NaturalPoint( without having to sign up for some crazy deal for official support )?

This is a good opportunity for Naturalpoint to get involved with the rift without seeing it as competition, but to improve it especially for cockpit games.
uglyDwarf

Post by uglyDwarf »

I'd say it is the other way around - demonstrations were run at 120Hz (same as TrackIR), John Carmack requested 250Hz and the development kit track now at 1000Hz...

Also the use of magnetometers could provide enought informations to avoid the drift.
Kind regards,

Michal
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=lmimmfn]@Jeff - the rift isint really competition for trackir, in that it cannot track as fast as trackir, but of course trackir can only track while youre facing the camera.

When my rift dev kit arrives i want merge trackir tracking when im front facing so that there is no drift and use the rift tracking when im turning around etc.

Longshot, but will there be any support for this from trackir? if not, the trackir SDK is only available to established devs, which is no good for Oculus experimentation, are we going to get any help from NaturalPoint( without having to sign up for some crazy deal for official support )?

This is a good opportunity for Naturalpoint to get involved with the rift without seeing it as competition, but to improve it especially for cockpit games.[/quote]
You're more than welcome to play around with our Camera SDK, which offers a VectorTracking sample that should get you up and running with 6 DOF data streaming into your app.

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... beta.1.exe
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack
lmimmfn

Post by lmimmfn »

[quote=NaturalPoint - Seth][quote=lmimmfn]@Jeff - the rift isint really competition for trackir, in that it cannot track as fast as trackir, but of course trackir can only track while youre facing the camera.

This is a good opportunity for Naturalpoint to get involved with the rift without seeing it as competition, but to improve it especially for cockpit games.[/quote]
You're more than welcome to play around with our Camera SDK, which offers a VectorTracking sample that should get you up and running with 6 DOF data streaming into your app.

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/ ... beta.1.exe [/quote]
Thanks Seth, exactly what im looking for at the moment, cheers.
Burner_Tbird4

Post by Burner_Tbird4 »

Would a developer who signed your SDK agreement be in violation by adding Rift support to their game?

Thanks,
Seth Steiling

Post by Seth Steiling »

[quote=Burner_Tbird4]Would a developer who signed your SDK agreement be in violation by adding Rift support to their game?

Thanks,[/quote]
No, supporting Rift after signing our SDK agreement is fine with us.
Marketing Manager
TrackIR | OptiTrack