Improvement Suggestion

bacon117

Improvement Suggestion

Post by bacon117 »

I've been trying to setup my trackIR for about 3 hours now, and I cannot seem to get the input just right. It's the relationship between my physical head and virtual representation of my physical head that seems to be the trouble. I yaw my physical head to the left, and the TrackIR software representation of my physical head, represented by the "raw" data, pitches forward and translates along the z axis. It's also not repeatable, as in occasionally, the compound movement will change, despite making nearly the same yaw motion with my physical head. Sometimes changing the camera rotation in the software to 180° helps...

I'm sure it's due to the physical location and orientation of my clip pro. I will probably find the best location eventually.

My suggestion is to add a calibration procedure. Having the user move their head through a prescribed motion should allow calibration of the transfer function between LED relative and absolution orientation and the virtual plane that represents the raw head. Having a fixed transfer function, which appears to be the current implementation, between LED orientation and virtual plane forces the user to find exactly the right physical relationship between the camera and IR LED's, BOTH of which have 6DOF on their own.
MikeWitham

Re: Improvement Suggestion

Post by MikeWitham »

bacon117,

I have added this to our feature request list and forwarded it to the dev team. The idea will be discussed and considered for future updates.

Regards,
Mike Witham
TrackIR Product Manager
bacon117

Re: Improvement Suggestion

Post by bacon117 »

Hell Mike: Thank you for the response. For the record, I think the main cause of my issue was the bug I reported regarding the IR LED's not turning off when selecting the Clip Pro. The camera based IR LED was reflecting off my glasses, and causing a lot of virtual head stability issues. Once I was able to actually turn off the IR LED in the camera itself, it works much better.

I believe my suggestion for a calibration procedure is still valid, but it might not have as much benefit as I initially assumed. So, grain of salt, and all that.

So, now that it works, I'm quite happy with the product!