"Trueview" by axis and neck displacement

warrebarre

"Trueview" by axis and neck displacement

Post by warrebarre »

OpenTrack (opensource head-tracking software) already has these features: https://imgur.com/a/dCL7DA2

It would be great if the TrackIR camera could be made available for OpenTrack. Especially since support for TrackIR software seems dead.
Chris.Johnson

Re: "Trueview" by axis and neck displacement

Post by Chris.Johnson »

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out in the forums, are you experiencing trouble with your Track IR device, or software?
All the Best,
Chris Johnson
Customer Support Engineer
NaturalPoint
Al-Azraq

Post by Al-Azraq »

Chris.Johnson wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 am Hello,

Thank you for reaching out in the forums, are you experiencing trouble with your Track IR device, or software?
Hi, there many features the community really wants like the one OP is stating. Also there are issues with trueview as the head position seems to drift after looking around for a while.

The last update we received was in 2016, are you guys planning to update the software? If not, it would be really nice of you to make the camera available for OpenTrack as it is a supported software constantly updated with new features to make our virtual life better.

Thanks in advance.
Cinurwe

Post by Cinurwe »

Neck Displacement would be very much appreciated. We would need to set the axis we want to displace from center, set the distance, and set a keybind. I know several people who fly War Thunder who use Neck Displacement from opentrack. It allows them to quickly raise their head up in the y-axis without physically sitting up in their chair. Makes looking over the dash in the cockpit much easier. There is a keybind in War Thunder to perform this action, but it becomes disabled when head tracking from TrackIR is enabled. Adding this feature as a keybind within TrackIR would allow us to finally perform this action. I can see it being useful in most of the game supported as well.
Bosun

Post by Bosun »

I created an account just so I could reply, "Please" to this post.

Offsetting height above head for the camera is absolutely essential with many of us playing on large monitors over 43", where the camera cannot be mounted in any angle to the side or on top of the monitor, where it isn't causing translational axis creep when leaning in/out, or looking up/down.

I would echo the OP - if there is no intent to continue to work on features and functionality, the project needs to be open source. Or it needs a new buyer/investor.

It is frustrating that no other IR-tracking competitors can really latch on to the market, with copyrights locked down. The only substitutes have some major flaws, and the best option (this one) simply lacks development motivation, it would seem.

I've scoured forums for an offset solution, and I can cite dozens, and dozens, and dozens of posts on this going back to 2004. 2004. We're coming up on 20 years of TrackIR, so I think it isn't outside reasonable expectation that something like this would have been implemented by now. :/
jillian.smythe
NaturalPoint Employee
NaturalPoint Employee

Post by jillian.smythe »

Hello Bosun,

I appreciate your reply and explanation of the problems you are experiencing. I have passed this information along to our developers so that they can see the need for a mechanism to account for displays that are much larger than the ones that were available when TrackIR came into existence. I have heard from other customers that they have been successfully able to either mount the camera on the side or tilt it at an angle such that they can use it with displays as large as 55 inches; however, they may be using different settings or have a game that is less sensitive to the translational axis creep that you mentioned.

I've also seen posts from other users who have successfully mounted the TrackIR on a tripod behind them, and then pointed the Track Clip or TrackClip Pro facing the camera: https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtop ... 308#p70308.

Kind Regards,
Jillian Smythe
TrackIR Support Representative