The Game of Memory

TerrySwDev

The Game of Memory

Post by TerrySwDev »

Who remembers when having a trackir meant a beautiful, yet very ugly, black squarish clunky thing on top of their monitors?

Anyone remember the first "active IR" devices from the mod community that were made from ink pen bodies?

Anyone remember how awesome it was to fly IL2 with the original mouse look only support? Of those, how many think they could stand going back to that after using 6DOF?

This forum room is for stories about how TrackIR has improved our gaming... from pre-TrackIR days all the way up through every model it has been one hell of a ride and things just keep getting better and better!!

(Formerly 2GvSAP_Charlie or Charlie_VFP for those that do remember the above stuff)
Charvel

Re: The Game of Memory

Post by Charvel »

Being on the beta team I have to say I've had a great deal of fun tracking the progress - which in some versions has been pretty revolutionary - and tweaking the most out of the TIR.

The best part to me is the dedication of the developers to making it the best and only gaming tracking device of note, not just in the hardware but the tireless work put into the drivers.

Believe me, it's the innovation in software that really makes a device like this shine, especially with innovations like TrueView which I like to think I had some minor influence with. Then there's the game support which they spend countless hours of their own personal time pimping to wary developers, as well as unparalleled customer support, which is evidenced by personal replies in these very forums.

You may think I'm kissing ass here but I can tell you that I call it as I see it.

Hopefully, as the TIR starts to become more integrated into the average gamer's list of necessary equipment that they keep the same attitude and commitment to their products and customers.

I find I rarely bother with any games that aren't TIR friendly anymore as I've become a bit hooked on the immersiveness provided by what I prefer to call CrackIR.

VincentG

Post by VincentG »

"CrackIR" - I like the new marketing term.....
TerrySwDev

Post by TerrySwDev »

Absolutely... If I do not have my TrackIR running then I am not flying. I wish that FPS games ( mainly Counter Strike ) had the capability to work with TrackIR. It amazes me why it hasn't taken off in a FPS yet... its a no brainer! Leaning around corners, head and gun control separated... why hasn't this thing gone through the roof yet?

But yeah... if it is a flight sim then I don't touch it without TIR running. I have a feeling that once there is a FPS out that handles the full potential of it then I won't play one of those without it either.

Charvel... I am sure you remember just as well as I do when the beta testing group got the Vector in... that day changed everything!
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

Have you looked at ArmA???
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Have you looked at ArmA???
TIR has really made this a different game for me. I remember when we were playing around with the implementation in that "other" game we were testing to see what it would be like, a year or two back and loved it then too.

You can really see the difference with ArmA though having it implemented by the developer. With the right profile tweaking it feels as natural as a flight sim now which has really made me optimistic that TIR is a practical, useful and fun addition to an FPS and my guess is that within a couple years it will be a must-have for at least the hardcore FPS'ers too.

Terry, if you want to try my profile just drop me a pm, but do yourself a favour and pick up ArmA either way. It is definitely one of those must-have games and there's nothing like driving through kilometers of open countryside and through towns looking out the windows. They did a great job of making ArmA world seem alive and inhabited.

Pretty immersive game this one and TIR just elevates the experience.
Barred

Post by Barred »

Over the years I not only have seen the changes in CrackIR (great term that Charvel) from where monitor's were converted to 'Darleks' to that which is CrackIR of today.

The software has grown from mouse emulation in MS Flight Sim and IL2 where there were those who said 'you must be joking', followed by the cries (here in the UK) of 'HOW MUCH! You FOOL!' to the 'True View' of today.

All through the growing pains of TrackIR, NaturalPoint has always come through. Broken units, failed units and those who had them NaturalPoint has always been first in Customer Support. The names here may change but equal they have been in their championing of 'CrackIR'.

There have been those that think that failed units are high because of the posts. How wrong they are only NaturalPoint knows but from the dedication I have seen, over the years I would not think they are that high.

From Planes to cars and now to people TrackIR has trickled through becoming rivers over the course if time. All I can do is wish NP well. For those who have soured hights and seen sights with caps on their heads I wish them well.

From genre to genre all I can do is wish TrackIR well.

I did not like Operation Flash Point and I do not like ArmA. But I bought it because TrackIR was running through it.
ny_chief

Post by ny_chief »

Hi
New user of TIR here, and I have to agree it is extremely addictive, causing me to shelve my fps games till TIR gets implemented. I have to whole-heartedly agree with the comments on support provided by these folks, I have found this company to be great to work with. My wish is to get the Battlefield series up on TIR, then my wife will think she has no husband. Ok just joking but you get the idea.
Charvel

Post by Charvel »

Give Armed Assault a go and I doubt you'll spend much time with BF series anymore.