oqvist

How about this in coming trackIR products

Post by oqvist »

Why is my posts getting deleted?

I just thought this was so cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw
acewing

Re: How about this in coming trackIR products

Post by acewing »

Nice effect. I'm not sure this could work with in-game head tracking though.
Katana

Post by Katana »

Just watched that video too, looks really cool :)

However, i cant see how that stuff would have to do anything with the hardware. As long as you got your 6DOF on your head, its just the 3d-software that brings you the visual stuff thats missing, right?

Would be really awsome if they could just throw out some little tech-demo for us to play with, looks so frekain' cool, and if you can do it with an ugly weemote, it gotta work 10 times as good with TrackIR ;)
oqvist

Post by oqvist »

What are you talking about the Wii remote is beautiful :).

The whole idea builds upon that you stand up and use your body, lean etc. Imagine boxing in Wii sports.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Good points here. We love the demo, because it is clearly effective in demonstrating what optical head tracking can do. We do have a free SDK for TrackIR, and you could easily do the same demo with it, but obviously the Wii has got some public momentum. It is somewhat interesting that we have had a superior optical tracking product for years, so I guess it is all about the demos. We will continue to invest in the TrackIR. Perhaps the Wii remote will bring more recognition to optical tracking and benefit all of us.
acewing

Post by acewing »

Maybe the video's popularity is a reflection on the number of people that have wii remotes lying around that never get used and are seeking a use for them...
Katana

Post by Katana »

"Easily" for you maybe, i dont have a clue how to do it myself :P
If it is so easy, you should definitly do a couple of tech-demos like the one in that video, so game-developers open their eyes and see what this product can do, and other people can get impressed and buy themselves TrackIR :)

Seriously, if it aint too much work for you guys, cant you make a tech-demo like the one in the video? Would be so awsome :)
Jim

Post by Jim »

Okay, we are up to the challenge for sure, but we are also swamped with product development. We will make time for this after GDC this year.
Katana

Post by Katana »

Wouldnt software like that be awsome for stuff like GDC? Show off what you can do with TrackIR, that its more than 'just' looking around in games as it is now :)
Jim

Post by Jim »

Good point! We have been demoing TrackIR at GDC for about 3 years now and lots of game developers have seen it, but they are in the same situation we are, great idea, no time to work on it because there are projects to get out the door.

For GDC this year the main focus is on OptiTrack, our motion capture system, and of course, traditional TrackIR usage. We will see what next year brings, but I think that TrackIR will play a major roll.