How about this in coming trackIR products

evilc

Re: How about this in coming trackIR products

Post by evilc »

All 6DOF TIR games do this already, it's just that normally you are controlling a head bound to a body and it doesn't let you lean too far left or right, so you do not notice the effect as much. You would get the effect in the wii demo, if, for example, you set up a bunch of targets like that in ARMA, stood very close to them, and moved your head from side to side.

All this is is tracking with 3 degrees of freedom (translations)

TIR does all already plus another 3 degrees of freedom (rotations).

Don't get me wrong though, I dig the guy. His wiimote active whiteboard idea is great, and the minority report style multitouch with a wiimote is cool too.

Now THAT is maybe something to add into TIR... See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0awjPUkBXOU

If TIR could be used as a multitouch (ie like the iphone interface) system when not playing games, it could be useful for work as well as play...
Jabberwock

Post by Jabberwock »

I'll repeat what I wrote in another thread: the easiest way to do such thing would be to make TIR work with NVidia stereo drivers. All you have to do is to change the in-game point of view depending on the TIR X and Y axis.

I am not sure how cooperative NVidia people are, but if you pull this off, you can do this 3d thing in ANY game (OK, any game that supports NVidia stereo, but most of them do).

As for the finger tracking, it is already possible... I do not know if writing about independent TIR software is allowed here, so I'll wait for go ahead from moderators before I write more about it.
nathanrobinson

Post by nathanrobinson »

what is known as 'head tracking' is really just directional, positional data, aka, vectors. Where your head is pointing, and where it is relative to the 'center' point.

the stereoscopic vision illusion is positional data. It works because the application/game will render the scene based upon where your head is positioned (which is different that where your head is pointed) and subsequently modify the 3D camera's orientation to the view. The camera is (in almost every case) positioned in the center of the screen/view.

Head tracking is a super-set of the stereoscopic vision trick. The real magic is going to occur in a driver "wrapper" which will let this trick happen in any 3D game. This will work, because the driver only receives a 3D scene to render, and since we have a scene and a camera position, all that is necessary is to modify the camera position.
acewing

Post by acewing »

The whole point of head tracking is for hands free mouselook, yet this 3d illusion (not stereoscopic btw) only works if the view is fixed... I can't think of a single PC game that could use this, aside from a few arcade shooters.
nathanrobinson

Post by nathanrobinson »

[quote=acewing]yet this 3d illusion (not stereoscopic btw) only works if the view is fixed[/quote]

A fixed view is irrelevant to this concept.

- the current realm of graphics consist of a 3D scene projected onto a 2D surface.

- the stereoscopic vision trick allows for a 3D scene have the illusion of being projected onto a 3D surface. This is not VR/stereoscopy, and as said earlier, this is a stereoscopic vision *trick*.

You might not appreciate, or see the point, of 3D (even if it is an illusion), but after playing Homeworld (back in the day) in both "regular" and "3D" modes, via stereoscopic vision lcd shutter glasses, the difference is incredible. Beowulf 3D is another fantastic example of this concept.

Even an illusion of 3D is a step forward in creating an immersion in a game much better, which is the entire point of this. Real? no. Better? definitely.
nathanrobinson

Post by nathanrobinson »

Hands free mouse look is a dynamic view, but fixed perspective. The 3D trick is a fixed view with a dynamic perspective. You are correct.