TrackIR for Linux

wild duck

Re: TrackIR for Linux

Post by wild duck »

Hello

I'm an 'old' user of trackir on sims. From Il2 series to ETS2, I've been using trackir for a long time, but now I'm switching to Linux, and having a way to use Tir on Linux is a must.

With the Linux userbase growing slowly but strongly as gaming on Linux is in true expansion, It should be feasible for NP to made a driver and GUI for our system.

Otherwise, I'll be looking for other solutions, like the new support for HTC Vive on Linux (it's coming, on beta now) or the recently announced LG hmd.

Thank you
lindev32

Post by lindev32 »

I created an account just to reply to this thread.

I was considering purchasing a few of these, however Linux support is a prerequisite.
I'm certainly not alone in having Linux support as a requirement and with the expanding market share I would urge the developers to implement support for mainstream distributions.

Regards,
livernyc

Post by livernyc »

[Bump]

As stated by others I created an account on the board just to say there is still a user base out there for this request.

I have owned my Track IR 5 for several years now and I can't live without it. I still run Windows on my main rig but would love to see official Linux support from naturalpoint.

Maybe you guys should start a go fund me page??
NavyCuda

Post by NavyCuda »

I've had trackir for a number of years now, used it with Arma 2, Arma 3 and DCS: World.

Joined this forum just to mention this:

I have recently made the transition to linux on my primary desktop and would like to see trackir support. Arma3 has a native linux client, using trackir with it would be great.
johnspack

Post by johnspack »

I think this topic needs to be brought back up. I've owned a trackir 5 since they first came out. Several years ago I switched to linux as my main and only os, and found linuxtrack. It allowed me to continue to use my trackir. However linuxtrack development has stopped, and it no longer works with newer versions of linux that have moved to the qt5 library. Linuxtrack requires qt4, which is no longer supported. My device is now effectively a very light paper weight. Linux is very well known for it's excellent plug and play usb device support. Why is it not possible to add trackir support to the kernel? It could still be an add on driver that compiles into the kernel when you install it, like graphics drivers ect.
p-s-t

Post by p-s-t »

Hi
registered just to post my support for the idea.
I am one of those DIY people that always made his own hardware wise head tracking solutions.
However since my gradual move towards linux not only as a work platform but now as a game platform.
I am now at point that no amount of DIY helps.
Track IR from natural point just always felt bit too price heavy for me.

But If it had out of the box linux software included i would be willing to pay.
Dendan

Post by Dendan »

judging by the activity, this comparny does not care.
p-s-t

Post by p-s-t »

Someone eventually will.
This is open market for somebody to grab.
From business standpoint of a company that already has the product this is Easy money.

I would have hoped Stanislaw Halik maker of Open track would be "open" ;) to do so.
However he seems to be stuck in this : "linux should be for programmers." mentality.

So yes his program works but its is far from self contained and it requires way too much mental gymnastics to uninitiated to do properly.

Asked the Facetracknoir dev about the same he has no intrest in linux for the moment. But he seemed to be bit more business minded.
I think it could be matter of incentive.

We really need to voice the interest wherever relevant.
It is not complicated issue. It exist but it is either outdated(linux track) or mess to install with 3rd party UI elements which one cannot sell without license.
Dendan

Post by Dendan »

This thread had some source, and some information about somebody that got it working years ago, that is simply not updated since then, but worked.
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... ux-solved/
gyyuut

Post by gyyuut »

I created this account to voice my wish for Linux support. TrackIR is the one outstanding piece of hardware that I need to work on Linux. Thanks.