How to make TIR much more game friendly

evilc

How to make TIR much more game friendly

Post by evilc »

OK, so I have had TIR for a good 6 months now, and I love it. Problem is, not enough good games support it. Even when they do, implimentation can be ropey - For example Insurgency suffers from ironsight usability issues unless you set a big deadzone which ruins immersion, and I have similar issues with BOB2 also.

I have been doing a bit of thinking and I have come up with an easily implimentable solution which would fix all the games I have issues with.

When the "Pause TIR" (Default: F9) hotkey is pressed, instead of just stopping TIR looking wherever you are looking, reset the view back to dead centre first.

With this in place, Insurgency would suddenly become playable. Map the TIR Pause hotkey to Mouse2 (Same as Insurgency aim view) and when you right click to aim, TIR will be disabled and your view set to dead centre, so all is good.

I would also suggest allowing there to be two or more bindings to the pause hotkey (eg one for mouse/keyboard, one for joystick - some games like BF2, you could be infantry or a pilot in any given session) and also so that if you were doing the Insurgency method as detailed above, if the toggle status got out of synch with the aim status (ie it paused TIR when you came out of aim not went into it) then you could use the secondary hotkey to get them in synch again. Understand? phew.

Finally, if you do this, it may be an idea to allow the user to set a default position to snap back to on TIR pause as they may not always want dead centre. An example of this would be whilst playing BOB2 and flying a Meschersmitt. Those have the gun sight slightly to the right of the pilot - as it stands with TIR it is pretty hard to lean *exactly* the required amount right.

To me, this sounds like an easily implimentable solution - no changes would need to be made to the API, it would just be a case of adding a couple of options in the TIR client.

It's also not just a case of ropey implimentations. I simply do not see a way of having an ironsight FPS (ie one with no crosshairs dubbed on the player view like ARMA or Quake has) and not having this issue with TIR unless something like my solution is implimented. TIR and ironsight views just do not mix otherwise. The only option is to be able to disable TIR and centre the view to be able to accurately use ironsights.
evilc

Re: How to make TIR much more game friendly

Post by evilc »

OK, I just found BOB2's "Lock to gunsight" mode. This disables translations, and as the rotations are all around the centre of the view, they don't affect the aim. Nice.

So, I would also propose an option to disable (and reset to centre) translations with a hotkey, so that we can mimic this lock to gunsight mode in other games.
Jim

Re: How to make TIR much more game friendly

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the ideas. I get what you are proposing. We maintain a feature request list and this will go on it for sure.