Trueview has a mind of its own

acewing

Trueview has a mind of its own

Post by acewing »

I'm surprised by the lack of discussion about the nature of Trueview on here, given that it's enabled by default and how unpredictable it can be. A series of head translations and rotations can result in your real head back at the center but the in-game head is not! The in-game head, after a delay, seems to realize it isn't where it's supposed to be and moves back to the center in big, awkward jumps. Not exactly pretty.

I've made sure that these effects are being caused by Trueview and not by bad tracking.

This isn't exactly the 'true view' that the name suggests. Is it possible to tame the view so that it does what it's told (without sacrificing the relative translation)?
Jim

Re: Trueview has a mind of its own

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I would like to experience what you are describing first hand. I can understand what you are saying, and I do believe it can happen, as TrueView is a complex math problem. The issue is that there is no definite solution to how to get your view "back to center", so the math takes a good guess and tries to merge your desires with the virtual head positions. I think we spent a long time on the math, but we can revisit it again now that it has been a while and look at it with fresh eyes, maybe something will come up.
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

What exactly are you seeing, on the tracking screen, when this occurs?
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thanks so much for the video post! Nothing helps quite like a video.

We understand the issue now. We believe that you have a very large amount of scaling applied, much more than for normal TrackIR use. This extra scaling is what is causing TrueView to have the larger movements, to get you back to an absolute center. I don't think there is anything we can do about that.

It is fun to see how much you are using the scaling though, you have a full virtual world there, quite interesting to watch.