Official Support for keyboard mapping

culliganator

Official Support for keyboard mapping

Post by culliganator »

I did a search for "keyboard" and results came up nil.

I was considering purchasing the TrackIR to complement my PCGAMERBIKE but I see the supported titles are limited to those that support the headtracking protocol. When I enquired about key mapping I was directed to some 3rd party apps. They look good but I don't understand why this is not officially supported. If it were it would open up a lot of games that could be used with the headtracking system. I was particularly interested in being able to "lean", then "strafe" by tilting my head left or right. Even if that was all it did in the game I would consider purchasing a headtracking system. I don't believe even the 3rd party key mapper app supported "tilting" however. Too bad.
THM655321

Re: Official Support for keyboard mapping

Post by THM655321 »

I cannot understand why it is not part of the OEM software. It would make the device 100% more useful.

As an analogy, joysticks all come with OEM keyboard mapping utilities so that you can use the joystick in games that don't support them.

The same should be true of TrackIR IMO.
THM655321

Post by THM655321 »

Silence is equivical in and of itself...

NaturalPoint, any possibility of adding keyboard emulation functionality to the TrackIR software?
VincentG

Post by VincentG »

It is something I will run by the development team.
Jim

Post by Jim »

There are 3rd party keyboard mapping utilites that use TrackIR Enhanced, and I think they work pretty well, if I remember correctly. I agree, it is a useful feature and we will look into it again for a future software release.
JD

Post by JD »

This would be such a leap for TrackIR to make it much more usefull. Just think of the amount of increased users that this could open up. Not just for flight and race simmers, but now all games and other applications.
I would think this could potentially increase sales dramaticly and I would think this would be put on a top priority list.
As far as third party software. I haven't found any that works with current versions.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I agree, we should support this officially. I have it on the list for the next major revision.
xCav8r

Post by xCav8r »

I'm happy to read this and think this has been far too long in coming. When is this due out? What might we expect to see?

For example, will we be able to program keys for each DOF like Freetrack users can? I want to lean in my chair to lean in a shooter. If I can do it in freeware, I expect to be able to do it in something I paid $175 USD for. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

What about more advanced commands? Like macros? Ability to repeat or just send once?

If you're going the Trackmapper route, will we be stuck with the concentric rings and squares like in TrackMapper? I want a bigger zone up top than on bottom. Symmetrcial doesn't always work for me.

What about TIR to joystick? Seems pretty related and I don't see responses to suggestions of this nature here in the feature requests forum.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Thanks for the feedback and input, keymapping is on our list.

We are adding a lot of features for the next major release of the TrackIR software. We don't have a release date yet, but look for something around the end of the year.
Cyborg16

Post by Cyborg16 »

[quote=xCav8r]What about TIR to joystick? Seems pretty related and I don't see responses to suggestions of this nature here in the feature requests forum. [/quote]
Joystick emulation would be nice to see, although probably many games wouldn't support using this in a way which would produce intuitive actions (except that joystick hats can be reported as axes and used to look around).