'Active' dot

bhodi

Re: 'Active' dot

Post by bhodi »

PS
If you are flying online on one of the rare times that I am online, you are not allowed to use this method on me...You must use your old method
snake122

Post by snake122 »

OMG, YOUR NOT AN EE?!? And I thought I was in good hands But you did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night right? You sure have been helping mine fine without the EE degree Actually my new boss is a EE major and she may do the soldering for me. So the 1k is preventing the LED from being as bright as it could be even with it turned all the way up or just doesn't give me the fine control? I have to go into the Shack again anyway because I need a new battery holder. I don't think they had one any higher in stock that's why I bought the 1K. But it definitely works and I'm putting the final touches on the project (of course I may switch out the pot)! Thanks!

ROFL!!! Your secret weapon, eh? Great points. I think I naturally do this inspite of the view limitations of sims. At least when I'm lining up for landing in RL it's what I do. And now that you mention it, I've always watched the other plane track across the non-gunsite snapviews making me wish the screen would move! That's why I think that free-panning cockpits with TrackIR are the best view systems in sims until you need to do radar work and the high res 2D cockpit comes in handy. And as for leaning, now that you mention it, I agree it is part of checking six, especially under G, but what about around 3 and 9?

[ October 21, 2002, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Snake122 ]
bhodi

Post by bhodi »

Nope, spent last night at home.
When I check 3 or 9 I just head turn. However I lean also. It helps to tame the feeling that you neeed to move your body when you fly.
When I first started to fly with TIR I didn't like the feeling of having to hold so still...Now when I lean and turn I get enough movement to make me feel as if I am moving around.

Had a feeling that you'd end up back at the shack...no project can ever be finished in one trip to the store....Man rule #1
More tools.... Rule #2
BPO6_GoldenWing

Post by BPO6_GoldenWing »

You guys KILL ME!! LOL. I don't have the guts to go to the shack and try the solder thing!! (Hey, that's what inflight techs are for, right?)

All I ever learned to do is pre-flight, complain to the chief, kick the tires, and light 'em off! That solder stuff is for the real pros...not us guys that "played" for a livin'!! hehehe

I hope the survey hint about a commercial active dot pans out. I'll be first in line! LOL

~S! Gold
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Gold,
Where exactly are you retired from? i'm guessing you at least did some time in the Navy or Marines. I am in no way a pro, I haven't even soldered yet and my active dot works! And I may not even solder for awhile so I can practice. I figure it's a good skill to pick up, especially for any future Cougar mods!. Hehe, I guess us lowly flight Instructors have to earn our pay And I don't hardly even pre-flight anymore, that's the student's job!!!

[ October 23, 2002, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Snake122 ]
bhodi

Post by bhodi »

OK,
you get it working?
I'm going to see if I can protype a USB version of the active dot, I'm thinking of a extention cord like is connected to the Track IR so I don't lose a port.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Axe_78th

Post by Axe_78th »

Greetings,
Cool forum, haven't been to the Natural Point site in a long time. Here's a link to s SimHQ thread that has some pics of my Track IR active unit that clips on your headset mic.

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards ... 15545.html

It's works great!
Moooby

Post by Moooby »

OK I want to do this to and I would assume this active IR source has to be much much better than Dot, and I would imagine you wouldnt loose centering so much, My idea was to insert a IR emitter inbetween the lenses of an old pair of sunglasses (keep IR emitter on same elevation as my eyes)

This is the LED I found on radio shack's website
Specifications for the 276-143C are as follows:
� Radiant Intensity (mw) 7.368
� Peak Wavelength (nm) 940
� Forward Voltage (V) 1.28
� Half View Angle (Degrees) 36.36

Will this work ok?

[ November 21, 2002, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Moooby ]
snake122

Post by snake122 »

I used 276-143, works great!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

You guys are great! This project has really taken on a life of it's own. Just to confirm, I will be designing an active LED setup around the new year, I will open up a topic on it so that I can get all your feedback, especially from those that have already made their own system. Carry on...