New Approach to Old Problem.

Charlie251

New Approach to Old Problem.

Post by Charlie251 »

This is a good question for any of you out there.

My TrackIR works perfect; no, more than perfect. Its is most excellent. I have my reflective dot on the brim of a hat that makes it sit about 1.5 or so feet infront of the TrackIR device.

My only issue is that I really do not want to wear a hat when I am gaming. I hardly wear my glasses, and putting the dot on my forehead does not work even remotely as well as having it on my hat.

Ive looked at Bhodi's picture of his ALED project, and it looks bulky and annoying (although very awesome idea Bhodi!).

So, the question is, is there another way to do this without wearing a hat or a bulky ALED device and still have the perfect performance?

I wonder if I just strap a slim bar, dowl rod type, to the top of my headset and extend it 6 or 8 inches and stick the dot to the end of that..... hmmm... wouldnt be bulky, wouldnt be a hat, and "should" still work..... interesting idea.

Any others?
Jim

Re: New Approach to Old Problem.

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I say go for it, and post the pictures. We are in the middle of discussing how an active LED setup should work, so any ideas on configuration are helpful. There are quite a few ways of going about it.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

I think one of the most important things that should be considered is the "bulk" factor.

The only thing that should attach to the headset is the actual LED. Unless of course the whole contraption is very light and non-bulky. A wire can be run down the headset to a battery pack that can be strapped to the chair or left on the desk.

I just do not want to see a large bulky product strapped to a headset. I think it would be uncomfortable and ungainly.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Thanks for the feedback. This is an issue, wheather to remote the LED from the battery or have it all as one package. I think that there will be an option for both, but appriciate the feedback.
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

If you use a watch battery type array, I think it is possible to make it all in one package that can clip or clamp to your headset. It should be too bad unless you start using larger batteries. But then there is always the life of the battery issue....
BPO6_GoldenWing

Post by BPO6_GoldenWing »

~S! All,
I've tried several approaches:
1) "Diamond of clear plastic (1/4") with 5 overlapped dots...tape on back stuck to my glasses. (Worked, but kept knocking it off!)

2) Elastic headband with 1/2" uphostelry button covered in reflective material sewed on. Dot too large...DID NOT WORK!!

3) MOST SUCCESSFUL: ring ordered from Natural Point placed in my nose!!! LOL! It works!! (Thanks, DNME!! ;^) )

~S! Gold

[ January 30, 2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: BPO6_GoldenWing ]
Charlie251

Post by Charlie251 »

LOL. Ill have to try the nose ring!

I noticed your from Orlando. Any good lan parties around Central Florida?
BPO6_GoldenWing

I'm sure there are some. However, I'm involved in a world-wide multiplayer league in IL2. Our virtual squadron is nation wide and we only have one other member from the Tampa area.

~S! Gold
Nodak01

Post by Nodak01 »

My active bulb assembley is the size of a Bic ink pen, mainly because that's what it is. Just a bulb with the resistor soldered right to it inside the pen housing with wires attached, all incorperated into the boom mike mount. The wires run into that sides headset ear cup which has the on/off switch. From there it runs to the power adaptor on the power strip. The reostat is the original headset volume control. Basically ink pen sized, so it's doable. I use the headset for sound, so wear it all the time anyway, keeps the fan noise out well.
BPO6_GoldenWing

~S! Nodak01,

YOU DA MAN!!