New Dot Config

Charlie251

New Dot Config

Post by Charlie251 »

I mentioned an idea I had to get rid of my hat and keep the bulk factor down of a dot placement scheme. Well, it worked perfectly.

I took a 3/8" dow rod and cut a 12 inch piece off of it. I then put it across my headset and used two zip ties to secure it. I kept them moderatly loose at first. I then stuck a dot on the end of it. Then I used the TrackIR advanced page to adjust the length of it so that I had a good solid print on the dot. It ended up being 7.5 inches from the center of the headset band to the tip of the rod where the dot was placed. This will vary depending on how far you sit from the TIR device.

I then tested it in game and it worked perfect. In fact, it works much better than using my hat. I have it slightly closer so that less head movement is needed and it easily pans the entire cockpit. I just need to lower the sliders slightly as it was a tad too sensitive, and I have them at max right now anyway!

Here are some pictures. Hope they come through..... oh, and a link to an IL-2 track I just made using the new setup and using TrackIR exclusivly to land a FW-190.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/radiowave/pics/newtirset.trk

Enjoy.

EDIT: Links Corrected

[ January 28, 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Charlie251 ]
Charlie251

Re: New Dot Config

Post by Charlie251 »

NOTE: Use the zip ties to find the correct distance you need from the headset to the TrackIR device. After you find it, mark your dow rod and then remove the zip ties. Secure it with tape. This way the zip ties do not bite into your head. It doesnt bother me much, but if you strive for ultimate comfort, this will help greatly.

Oh, another thing I wanted to mention is that when I was using it, I couldnt even see the dow rod portruding from my head. I did not notice any restriction in head movement or added weight to the headset.

Looks to be a great solution to a hat.

Jim: Maybe you guys could manufacture a "wand" like this, but add clips to it. That way it will instanly clip to a headset and be fully adjustable. If you want me to draw up some plans for it, let me know. I have a ton of free time.