Falcon 4.0

influx

Falcon 4.0

Post by influx »

Hello,

I want to play around with some code to see if I can get some kind of basic support for Falcon 4.0 SP3. I've downloaded the ObjectTrackerControl.exe file, but it looks pretty old. Is there any info on using the new enchanced mode? How does the TrackIR software and IL-2 Forgotten Battles communicate in enhanced mode?

Thanks,
Brad
Halstead York

Re: Falcon 4.0

Post by Halstead York »

We have a SDK that we give to registered developers. Please feel free to e-mail me if you're interested.

As for Falcon 4, my initial discussions with some SP folks suggested that you can no longer integrate trackIR Enhanced capability, since the executable is locked.

However, I'm sure there are thousands of users who would love that to be proven wrong.

We are actively in discussions with G2i about integration in Falcon 5 and Falcon 4: Operation Infinite Resolve.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Brad,
I'm really willing to help you with this! Like Halstead says though, the code is locked. Is ObjectTrackerControl.exe a Falcon file or Naturalpoint thing? Where did you get it from?
See the Falcon board here for a more indetph info on how we've jury rigged it for falcon. But for good support in Falcon to work someone will have to create a 3rd party program for it with either mouse keymapping like Kx2us's or converting the headtracking program to mouse inputs instead of joystick. Get it here: http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochest ... dtrack.zip
Craig seems open to somebody editing the program to do it's just that we don't have the expertise.
influx

Post by influx »

Hi Snake,

The ObjectTrackerControl file is available from http://www.naturalpoint.com/dev/tools.htm.

I'm already using Craigs software as a reference. Keymapping and mouse control is not a priority for me. Whenever I'm looking for SAM launches or tangled up with a MiG, I'm in the 3d pit. I'd like to get the TrackIR working in there first!

It should be quite simple to write an application to take the output from the TrackIR, convert it to the format falcon uses and write it into the shared memory area. This is really the only option without modifying the falcon4 sp3 exe, unless NaturalPoint want to put the code straight into the TrackIR software

I just need to know how to get the TrackIR enhanced mode data!
snake122

Post by snake122 »

quote:Originally posted by Brad:
Hi Snake,

The ObjectTrackerControl file is available from http://www.naturalpoint.com/dev/tools.htm.

I'm already using Craigs software as a reference. Keymapping and mouse control is not a priority for me. Whenever I'm looking for SAM launches or tangled up with a MiG, I'm in the 3d pit. I'd like to get the TrackIR working in there first!

It should be quite simple to write an application to take the output from the TrackIR, convert it to the format falcon uses and write it into the shared memory area. This is really the only option without modifying the falcon4 sp3 exe, unless NaturalPoint want to put the code straight into the TrackIR software

I just need to know how to get the TrackIR enhanced mode data!So you want to do a naturalpoint enhanced mode .dll for Craig's program or a modified version of it! This would be excellent for the 3d cockpit! Do you know how exactly the Falcon -head command line switch works and why it needs the joystick program? Does the joystick program send the values into the shared memory?
For the 2D cockpit we'll have to still use the Right mouse button trick, but I guess I can live with that if we have awesome panning in the 3D cockpit.
influx

Post by influx »

quote:Originally posted by Snake122:
[QB]So you want to do a naturalpoint enhanced mode .dll for Craig's program or a modified version of it! This would be excellent for the 3d cockpit! Do you know how exactly the Falcon -head command line switch works and why it needs the joystick program? Does the joystick program send the values into the shared memory?QB]I believe the -head switch tells falcon to use the data in falcon's shared memory to control the view in the 3d pit.

The joystick program Craig put together is quite simple, it reads the position of the joystick using DirectInput, makes the appropriate changes to variables for the head roll, pitch and yaw, and writes them into the shared memory area.

I have to confess that I'm no expert when it comes to win32 code, I'm much more comfortable in a unix environment.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

Brad,
And I'm not even a programmer! But it shouldn't be too hard to create a program that uses the enhanced mode data as long as we can figure out how the data is sent into the shared memory.
Jim,
Is there a way an enhanced mode .dll can emulate direct input or is a different program needed? If we find out how exactly his program sends the data into the shared memory, how would we go about making a .dll that uses the enhanced mode for a new exe for the enhanced mode info?
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

Guys-
Please feel free to e-mail me directly if you want the SDK. The progrram that you're working with does not offer enhanced mode functionality.
snake122

Post by snake122 »

quote:Originally posted by Halstead York:
Guys-
Please feel free to e-mail me directly if you want the SDK. The progrram that you're working with does not offer enhanced mode functionality.Halstead,
I'm not sure without being a programmer if I could do any good with it though. Is it possible to create a enhanced mode support like this if we can get the program to convert the enhance mode info to what Falcon needs, or should we be shooting for a mouse emulation program?
influx

Post by influx »

quote:Originally posted by Halstead York:
Guys-
Please feel free to e-mail me directly if you want the SDK. The progrram that you're working with does not offer enhanced mode functionality.Thanks! Email sent