IR-reflective coating fro plastic beads

funwey

IR-reflective coating fro plastic beads

Post by funwey »

Hi;

I am working on a project that requires multiple point spherical IR tracking. The best way to do it would be using small beads (about 6-8mm diameter) as hot spots. These beads are to be coated with the same IR-reflective material as those on Smartnav's stickers. WOuld like to find out anyone doing such custom coating. Thanks.
Charvel

Re: IR-reflective coating fro plastic beads

Post by Charvel »

A good starting point might be 3M although it may be a daunting task. Too bad the beads are so small or you could find a way of using engineer-grade reflective adhesive vinyl like what is used on police and emergency vehicles.

Maybe make your own paint suspension with an IR reflective metallic powder?

Just some ideas. Good luck!
atrdriver

Post by atrdriver »

I hope the NaturalPoint people read this forum. I have an idea that I would love to see developed. How about making a small reflective ball that has a slot in it that allows you to clip it to the brim of a cap? That might also solve the problem of the dot disappearing when you turn your head past 20 degrees or so (at least I have that problem). This may be the same idea already being discussed on this thread. A 'clippable" ball would really do the trick for me.

[ August 19, 2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: atrdriver ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

I am really working on this one. I have reflective paint now, but it isn't very bright. We need a reflecitve index of 500, what the 3M material has, the paint around 150.

I now have some very flexible reflective material, could be used to form around a foam ball, but not that small.

Working on a better solution. Stay tuned...
BPO6_GoldenWing

Post by BPO6_GoldenWing »

Jim,

Here's what I've done with your reflective tape: I found a wooden button that's half a sphere. I cut a circular piece of the reflective tape slightly larger than the "area" of the button.

Here's the trick: With scissors, cut from the periphery of the circular cutout to the center of the cutout ( equal to one radius ). This allows you to apply the tape to the half spherical button by using a slight overlap.

I applied this "reflectorized, half sphere" to my glasses with hot glue!!

[ September 02, 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: BoP_GoldenWing ]
Toad465

Post by Toad465 »