Better support for FPS games and a request...

Darksharp

Better support for FPS games and a request...

Post by Darksharp »

Hello there Jim, I'm in your neck of the woods (Bend, OR) *waves*

Anyways...
Just got my trackIR (with ED glasses). Frankly, I don't play flight sims. Not my cup of tea. But playing single player (not online) FPS and 3rd Person RPGs and Actions titles (i,e Morrowind, Mafia, Alice, Gothic, Medal of Honor, No One Lives Forever, etc), that's where I spend my gaming time.

I've spent about an hour screwing with the settings trying to get an acceptable mouselook substitute and I just can't get the "right" feel.

To that end, I'd like to request a user-definable Dead zone feature...the user can dial the settings to his desire where no matter what you do with your head the cursor is not affected within it. I'd rather not have the cursor wobbily when I'm in the center area of my viewing. For some reason it tends to drift a bit. Which in FPS is not good at all.

Myself I'd like the deadzone about .5" inches on all sides of my 21" montor...and then a spot within the center about 6 inches square.
To top that off, I ask that a additional "soft" deadzone be considered as a feature. Meaning it's not a hardine ON/OFF jump from deadzone to live spot. Similar to ease in/ease out settings animators use. This would simulate the natural movement of the head. This could be defined with a bezier curve.

Well that's all for now. Looking forward to v2 of the software.
Halstead York

Re: Better support for FPS games and a request...

Post by Halstead York »

Darksharp-
I think you'll be very pleased with the feature set in the v2 version of the profiler software. We'll be releasing it within the next month or so.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Just to add to his a bit, we will have fully definable motion proflies in version 2.0. That will mean that you can define a dead zone, or just a low motion zone anywhere in the movement area, also changing from dead zone to motion with any ramping amount you want. This will work in our Absolute Mode only however. In Relative Mode, you will be the ability to have AutoPanning, where you reach a point in the screen and it starts to move you automatically.

It will be interesting to see what feedbackwe get from non flight sim users, I am open to any suggestions to make the software better.

Hope you are enjoying the new snow in Bend, it has been raining all the time over here.
Darksharp

Post by Darksharp »

Thanks for responding guys. Can't wait to see all these juicy new features!

Another month? **sadness**

One thing I've noticed is...often when playing, I might glance at the keyboard and I end up the camera pointed at my feet. So to that end, if I understand you right, I could reduce the amount of tracking in the lower portion of the screen to eliminate "feet view"...but still have full left to right and middle to top tracking? Is that correct?

[ January 08, 2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Darksharp ]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Yes, that is correct. In addition, for games that support our Remote Interface, you will be able to set an absolute Center, so that when you look back up from your keyboard the camera will be in the same place as before.