TrackIR extension/comments.

Slapp

TrackIR extension/comments.

Post by Slapp »

Hello all at TrackIR

First off, I thank you for inventing/producing such a wonderful and simple idea/product.

I am a sim freak (IL2) and bought one of your units a couple of months ago.
I am currently trying to get the hang of TrackIR and tweaking with all the myriad of set-up combinations.

My biggest problem so far is the TrackIR distance; I use a 21" monitor so I do not sit that close to it. This obviously has a negative affect on TrackIR reception.

I have been experimenting with distances and it is quite clear that the closer one gets the better (to a point that is)...
My idea, which I am currently going to try and make myself to get around my distance problem, is a TrackIR extension arm for the unit.
I though of using one of those movable twisty lamp units arms (the ones that can be twisted and moved about in all directions and that holds it�s position once set) with base with the trackIR unit mounted on the end of it.
It would have the benefit of being able close down the distance to the reflective dots and be flexible in it�s positioning. It could be mounted on the desktop(a la tripod style)as well as the top of ones monitor.

Maybe in light of your more advanced reflective hat and the LED light that you will be bringing out in the near future, my idea might not be that relevant�=)

I have also been experimenting with increase the range of movement by way of increasing the distance of the reflector/dot that is in front of ones face, just like what your hat brim must do, this seems to be a more efficient way of increasing the movement control and ranges�

Another thing I noticed is that due to the reflective properties and receiving properties of the unit/dots, angles play a big part. The tracIR unit loses efficiency when the dot reflector is tilted (seems worse in the vertical plane). I suppose a spherical type reflector would cure this problem.
I think that ultimately though, a LED unit would be the most efficient way of keeping track and might have the advantage of working with background light (would be nice to use the unit without turning off background lights/window blinds/curtains/TV etc).

I got to split-S (work), and will check back later.

Thanks again for such a wonderful product and keep up the good work!

S!app
dazed

Re: TrackIR extension/comments.

Post by dazed »

lo!

Get yourself some reflective tape and make your own custom sized dots. At the rate im using dots and length of tape i have left i have enough for about 500 years, mbee more! I`m 26inch fom the TIR and using a 17mm radius dot. Ideally, you need to get the dot as big as you can without the boundry box around the dot turning red in the advanced window. The best place i`ve found to put a dot is on a curved surface on the brim of a baseball cap. Also make sure aspect ratio button is unchecked. It works great for me and result is very smooth movement. Im sure 1.30gx software is not as smooth as the previous versions tho. Anyway i hope that helps and happy fiddling

Cheers!

[ January 09, 2003, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: dazed ]
Slapp

Post by Slapp »

Thanks for the heads up Dazed.

What kind of reflective tape are we talking about? The stuff supplied by Natural Point or ones you can buy from cycling shops etc?

Cheers m8
DNME

Post by DNME »

3M reflective tape Slapp.
Slapp

Post by Slapp »

Good morning Dnme

Thanks m8.

S!
dazed

Post by dazed »

If you have a hard time finding 3M reflecting tape try WH Smith. I bought a few packets
of similar reflective tape from ebay and it turns out they originally came from WH Smith. If you still cant find any go find a postman you know with scissors in hand, he has a lot on his work coat. My neighbour is a postman, it works great . Failing that i`ll have pity on you and send you some from my vast reserves

laterz
Slapp

Post by Slapp »

Thanks for the heads up Dazed

I went into my local Smiths today but no luck, not stocked...I will try an other branch.

I will also try the �Postman-scissor attack� when I spot the enemy.

Cheers m8.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

Just wanted to jump in here and confirm all of the ideas / conceptions that Slapp has about the trackIR, you are on the money.

There are several guys that I know of who have mounted their trackIR closer to their head with an extension arm, only thing to be carefull of is any exagerated motion caused by the long lever arm, meaning that it can jiggle around and therefore cause the motion to not be as stable.

Yes, make a bigger dot and preferably on a rounded surface, like a hat brim. If you have a 10mm dot on a rounded surface you should get great tracking capablity over a wide range. Note, this is not required for general use, but to achieve the greatest flexibility it is desired.

You can use any 3M reflective tape, you should wash it off first if it comes from the jacket!

Modify away and let us know how it works out.