Software enabled limit to degree of movement.

meditek

Software enabled limit to degree of movement.

Post by meditek »

Here is the scenario. I can just about remember being young and flexible with good unaided vision but it takes an effort. I have a problem that would be simply solved if you could limit the degree of 'turn' to 'X' degrees.

Why? Well, I find 'large' head movement uncomfortable and I cannot see through the side of my specs very well. To get less head movement I have to speed things up. When I do a 'check six' and see an icon it is, consequently, a little jittery which, combined with looking angularly through my specs makes it very difficult to identfy the icon quickly.

Now, if I were able to enter a max movement on the axis of, say, 175 degrees in each direction then the view, hopefully, would lock when it reached it, thus stabilising the view.

Having spent many years programming I would think that this could be easily accomplished in version 5. However, being new to TIR it is quite possible that I have missed some very obvious reason why this would not be a good idea.
Birch

Re: Software enabled limit to degree of movement.

Post by Birch »

If you are using the TrackIR 5.x software, then you can set limits on the maximum value of an axis by moving some of the left and rightmost control nodes down to 0. You may need to experiment with them a little to get the exact view limits that you are looking for.

Here is an example which limits the yaw axis to +/- 90 degrees

meditek

Re: Software enabled limit to degree of movement.

Post by meditek »

And, Lo, there was light! Thank you Birch. That does exactly what I want.