Key Mapping Mode

John Banks

Key Mapping Mode

Post by John Banks »

folks!

I'd like to know why you guys dropped the key mapping feature? AFAIK, the first versions supported that and you could devide the sceen into 13 different points, where each point could simulate a key. This feature is absolutely vital in games which doesn't support a mouse view. I will get Red Baron3D in a few days and the FCJ patch as well, which bring the game back into the 21st Century. I thought i could use my TrackIR in this game with the key mapping function till i noticed that you dropped that .

Is there a reason why you dropped it and is there a chance to get it back? RB doesn't even support a smooth POV HAT panning function and this key mapping thingy was my last hope.

[ August 27, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: John Banks ]
Nimits

Re: Key Mapping Mode

Post by Nimits »

Personally, as much as I would like to get a TrackIR, until they support keymapping, I simply cannot justify buying one. Of the sims I spend most of my time one, IL2FB, WWIIOL, and CFS2, only the first one supports TrackIR. Please, Natural Point, give us keymapping!
Arcan

Post by Arcan »

quote:Originally posted by Halstead York:
... and we do what we can to support 3rd party keymapping software, such as KX2US's Falcon 4 driver....
anyone know if this program can be used as "stand-alone" for other purposes ?

thks
snake122

Post by snake122 »

We are always happy to work with both commercial and mod developers to incorporate trackIR Enhanced capabilities, and we do what we can to support 3rd party keymapping software, such as KX2US's Falcon 4 driver.

.Halstead,
Just want to clarify something that both you and Jim seem to be foggy on. KX2us's Falcon 4 Driver has nothing to do with keymapping. It is all an enhanced mode program, and a pretty good one at that. He did at one time make a keymapping program but it had just as many problems as you guys did. Keymapping can be done right (like in Use Your Head) as I'm sure you guys are tired of hearing me say that Please let Kx2us know that you still want him to make a keymapping project so you can satisify all us keymapper nazis hehe.

quote:Originally posted by Arcan:
... and we do what we can to support 3rd party keymapping software, such as KX2US's Falcon 4 driver....
anyone know if this program can be used as "stand-alone" for other purposes ?

thks Unfortunately no. Please refer to my post to Halstead. Hopefully Kx2us will fix his old keymapping program, every time he posts in the forums I encourage (or is it bug) him to do so.

[ September 18, 2003, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Snake122 ]
Halstead York

Post by Halstead York »

We dropped keymapping because the implementation was never any good, and it was going to take a fair amount of work to get it right. With our limited development resources, we felt that we needed to focus our attention on the future (trackIR Enhanced), and not the past. It was simply a matter of development resources.

We are always happy to work with both commercial and mod developers to incorporate trackIR Enhanced capabilities, and we do what we can to support 3rd party keymapping software, such as KX2US's Falcon 4 driver.

It's unfortunate that we had to make a decision to drop the keymapping feature, but if we hadn't, then we wouldn't have had the development resources to get trackIR Enhanced support in titles like LOMAC and IL2-FB.
tkorho

Post by tkorho »

I find this lack of key mapping very annoying.
I didn't even think this would be missing when ordering the product - after the flight simulators I wished to use this in shooters to peak behind the corners etc.

If there is possibilty to choose from mouse emulation to TrIR enhanced mode, then why not keymap also? Just giving for example 9 (or 8, with dead zone) possible positions and respective keypresses. The algorithm just can't be hard.

if (pos > X && prev_pos < x)
key Z

that would be enough for me. Or with key pressed mode, forget the previous position...

Now I am stuck to rare games supporting this naturally - it has been rather shown that there are no proproetary devices/gadgets/features that *will* get global support. The graphics cards didn't, until Dx. Sound cards did close by, but not until Dx you can say that again... If you plan to get TrackIR support in future MS DirectX:s, then perhaps, but otherwise I just don't believe your reasoning.

Now I am disappointed, and stuck with mouse-look style games. Not that it may still be good, but my preference of "peeking" behind objects etc is just nullified now.
Fish44

Post by Fish44 »

With our limited development resources, we felt that we needed to focus our attention on the future..........
What you say makes good business sense. If you get this thing recognised and talked about as a result of good implementation in some big titles, FS2002/4, IL2, Lomac, then it gives you guys room to breath, and mould the future.

However if Flight sims is a limited market, and the real money / succes is in the FPS market. I would have thought that key/mouse mapping would be part of any strategy to crack this market.

Just my $0.02
LiveWire

Post by LiveWire »

I see alot of good points here but am i wroung in saying this is a farly new product and you guys are not even givenig them a chance to get there feet off the ground. I think that this is a great product as is for even the games you can use it on. And look at is this way if thay didnt have this product to use then what would you be doing? Useing your hat or mouse to look around so be glade we can get this for some games new LOL
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hello:

The Keymapping issue goes way back, we removed the feature because it was very difficult to make it work well in Win98 and WinXP. If you guys all say that we can support it only in Win2K or XP, then I will try to get it back in.